General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User maniac886
(member) Thu 06-Nov-14 15:39:09
Print Post

Line bonding- what's required?

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I am thinking about bonding my Virgin 152MB and PlusNet Fibre 80MB service and was wondering what hardware and/or software is required. Would I get away with just using something like connectify dispatch pro or do I need specific hardware to bond both lines? If any hardware is required how easy/difficult is it to set up?

Thanks

Plusnet
200m to cabinet
72.15MB/s down / 16.03MB/s up
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Thu 06-Nov-14 19:00:54
Print Post

Re: Line bonding- what's required?

[re: maniac886] [link to this post]

Well the isps need to support proper line bonding

what you are looking for is a load balancing router maybe.

SKY FTTC - 40/10
Standard User awontroba
(newbie) Fri 07-Nov-14 09:31:44
Print Post

I recently bought a Draytek 2820 router (no WiFi) for £25 on EBay, and have it connected to Plusnet ADSL2+ and also to another router connected to TalkTalk ADSL, with load balancing between them. Seems to work well. I have noticed no problems so far.

A 2860 (which will set you back rather more) which does ADSL/VDSL on one port and can connect to another modem via Ethernet might be suitable for you.

--
Adrian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Fri 07-Nov-14 13:10:59
Print Post

Well I have just brough a Linksys LRT224 which performs well with Virgin but I haven't bonded any connections on it yet..

I know someone who has bonded his Virgin 152 and Plusnet 80 service in the past and I think he has a TP Link ER-5120 Line Bonding Router for sale or you could use software to bond called Connectify which I've heard good things about .

These are the speeds he sent me bragging: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3691932558

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie
I'm here to learn and help others using my experiences, not to argue with obnoxious people.
VirginMedia Over-Subscribed! Virgin Media Utilization Fix Countdown, will they keep there promise after 3 years?
TBB ST - Ookla ST - TBB BQM - RS BQM
FTTC Available - SDCRWLY PCP 70 @ 0.2-0.3km

Edited by mlmclaren (Fri 07-Nov-14 13:15:03)

Standard User maniac886
(member) Fri 07-Nov-14 19:36:42
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, been looking at the Connectify despatch software but just realised it doesn't work on Macs which is a shame! I will see if their are any alternative software load balancers if not that TP-Link looks worth a punt!

Plusnet
200m to cabinet
72.15MB/s down / 16.03MB/s up
  Print Thread

Jump to