General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chipfat
(newbie) Sat 08-Nov-14 11:49:21
Print Post

Tied to Sky Broadband?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've just come to the end of a 12 month deal with Sky for Fibre Unlimited Pro and so starting looking around for alternative options to get a better deal. Usually, calling Sky to tell them this is enough to get them to come up with a new offer so that you'll stay, but they said they couldn't offer me anything.

I looked at some options online and Plus.net looked like the best deal. I was with them before Sky (at a previous address) and never had any problems with them, so I went ahead and started the process of ordering a package from them. I hit a problem on the sign up in that it said I didn't have fibre available at my address, so I gave Plus.net a call. I'm no expert on any of this stuff but the Plus.net guy rambled on a lot about local loop unbundling and effectlively said Sky is my only option.

I don't really understand this, so I'm wondering if one of you can enlighten me! I just find it odd that I have an existing fibre service, apparently provided over a BT line (in fact, I had to have the cable between my house and the telegraph pole moved due to building work recently and Sky had me call Openreach directly to carry out the work because they said they owned the infrastructure) But it seems that my only option for a fibre broadband service is Sky. I thought the whole point of LLU was to open up the market for other providers, so I find it odd that I apparently have no choice! It might also explain why Sky didn't seem to want to offer me another deal, perhaps knowing that I don't have any options.

Cheers,
Mark.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 08-Nov-14 11:52:21
Print Post

Re: Tied to Sky Broadband?

[re: chipfat] [link to this post]

What does the dslchecker say for your address? http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.addres...

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sat 08-Nov-14 12:07:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It does seem to be a complete mess once you have full LLU with Sky or TalkTalk. I can't understand it; even less can I understand why OFCOM have allowed this situation to arise, or it allowing in the first place was an oversight why they have allowed it to continue for quite a long time. I'm not sure whether the process is fundamentally broken, or whether Sky are being allowed to get away with intentional subversion of the process.

There is a similar active thread with comments from people who know (MrSaffron and RobertoS); but I can't understand this either. http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/f/4369829-t...

I have read in that past that it can even be easiest to get a new line installed (as long as you don't mind losing your telephone number).

Whatever, good luck.

I suspect the check BatBoy has suggested won't come up with much helpful, as you already know what you can theoretically get. The equivalent check using phone number son't come up with anything as the line is in some sense 'not a BT line'

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.

Edited by StephenTodd (Sat 08-Nov-14 12:10:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chipfat
(newbie) Sat 08-Nov-14 12:12:21
Print Post

DSL checker says this:

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 77.2 20 20 -- 19-Nov-14
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 69.8 20 17.7 -- 19-Nov-14

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 8 -- 5.5 to 12.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 8 Up to 1 5.5 to 12.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- 19-Nov-14
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

Should I read anything into that 19th November availability date for FTTC?

Cheers,
Mark.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 08-Nov-14 12:20:51
Print Post

If you look at the text under the speeds box, it should give a reason why FTTC is not available at the moment.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User chipfat
(newbie) Sat 08-Nov-14 12:33:20
Print Post

Sorry, yes the text underneath says FTTC is currently unavailable because "Sorry your cabinet is temporarily unavailable, capacity will be restored as soon as possible.".

So, what does that actually mean?

The cause for my confusion here is that I have fibre broadband right now, so I just don't understand why ISP's and online checker tools are telling me that I don't and why I apparently don't have any other ISP choice than Sky.

I moved to my current address and took the fibre service when I moved in (where I lived previously was semi-rural and only had ADSL) I'd switched to Sky as they'd offered me a free broadband deal as an existing Sky TV customer. Previously I'd been with Plus.net and was happy with them, but you can't beat free smile

Cheers,
Mark.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Nov-14 12:41:32
Print Post

It means the cabinet is full or waiting for an extra line card. Wait until more capacity available and moving phone and broadband to others becomes simpler

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chipfat
(newbie) Sat 08-Nov-14 12:44:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok cool. There is a mention of FTTC being available on 19th Nov on the DSL checker, so maybe I'll give it a couple of weeks and then see if anything changes.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Mark.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 08-Nov-14 13:18:05
Print Post

That can change daily, so I advise you to check it every day.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 08-Nov-14 13:21:46
Print Post

There used to be a problem moving Sky to Plusnet but I think that is now sorted. The phone person you spoke to at Plusnet may be one of the many new recruits, and got confused by your number not showing up on his checker. As you say earlier, with being full LLU phone it is no longer a "BT line".

Even now, I'm not sure on moves from full LLU Plusnet don't migrate you to ADSL2+ even though you are already on FTTC, then upgrade you to FTTC a couple of weeks later. I think it might have been a difficulty in the Openreach ordering system.

When you come to order it would be a good idea to get one of the Plusnet forum reps involved.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to