General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WelshWArrior
(experienced) Mon 10-Nov-14 14:07:15
Print Post

What could BT be up to now?

[link to this post]

Over a month ago now, a small Huawei Fibre cab (even though my estate has around 200 houses) was installed next to my PCP and several times since, I've seen work going on in both cabs.

I've just driven past and the whole road leading up to the cabs is a mass of white spray paint including and mark that looks like |.| and it all culminates with 4 huge arrows pointing to, and directly in front of, the very old and rusty looking PCP.

What could all this mean? Obviously there's going to be more work done but I thought if it was power, it would be going to the new Fibre cab - not the PCP. Anyone know any different?

Incase there's anyone here on the inside, it is CAB3 on the Tenby (SWTB) exchange.

-------------------------------------------
PlusNet ADSL2+ Unlimited.
Speedtest

Edited by WelshWArrior (Mon 10-Nov-14 15:48:47)

Standard User APTMAN
(newbie) Mon 10-Nov-14 14:24:18
Print Post

Re: What could BT be up to now?

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

Have a look on this site may give you some idea. http://roadworks.org/
(experienced) Mon 10-Nov-14 14:32:58
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

Hi APTMAN. Already have - they never seem to have anything on there for Pembrokeshire - it seems that Carmarthenshire is as far West as it goes. Pembs Council has it's own roadworks website here but there is nothing for my area of town on here either.

A couple of weeks ago, road works ttok place at about 7pm with BT just turning up in about 7 unmarked vans, setting up traffic lights and pulling through fibre tubing - again no road works notice was given for them either.

Very difficult to find out what's going on.

Speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Nov-14 15:36:56
Print Post

Hard to say if it's white. Gleaned from the web:

Red pavement paint refers to electricity and red lines show where electricity cables run.
White spray paint is used to indicate notes, communications or measurements about what road markings should go where.
Blue spray paint markings show water pipes
Yellow spray paint markings indicate gas
Green spray paint markings are used to show cable communications including CCTV networks and cable television.

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
(experienced) Mon 10-Nov-14 15:43:51
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Yeah I did a search earlier for road markings and came up with the same. I did also however, find a site which mentioned that white is BT's colour of choice - but that's about it. Didn't give any mention about the different shapes used such as the |.| shape that's sprayed on the road near me.

I'm just wondering whether they are also replacing the old, battered, rusty PCP that the arrows go up to with a new fibre can too but that seems a bid odd considering that they already put a huawei one in. As far as I know though, the smaller huawei ones only have capacity for 128 connections don't they? My estate has around 200 houses so maybe they are putting another in!

Speedtest

Edited by WelshWArrior (Mon 10-Nov-14 15:48:16)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 10-Nov-14 15:49:53
Print Post

Or going to re-skin the PCP, but that wouldn't require markings elsewhere.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
(experienced) Mon 10-Nov-14 15:54:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hmm . . . . it's certainly puzzling me now! I suppose unless someone like ribble comes along who seems to have 'inside info', then I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

The PCP certainly looks like it needs re-skinning.

Speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 10-Nov-14 16:18:46
Print Post

I don't think they do it on looks. There can be insufficient room for the patch panel from the FTTC cab and the extra wiring to make the connections.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Nov-14 16:42:58
Print Post

This is basically a guess, but I've seen a markings like that where I work, as there are ground works being done, and it was underground electrical cabling. Doesn't mean it's the same though I suppose.

The PCP won't be replaced with a fibre cab - they still need the PCP.

Are you sure your entire estate is served from that PCP? Could be there are others. Where I am, 2 PCPs are within 300 metres of each other.

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
(experienced) Mon 10-Nov-14 17:24:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I didn't think they were replacing it due to its looks but possibly due to do with the fist sized hole that's rusted through the front of it!

I've just passed it again on way back home from work and there are now more arrows sprayed on the grass around the BT concrete manhole infront of the PCP. The arrows are coming out of all 4 sides of manhole, pointing away from it. Looks like someone had fun (or paint to waste!!) this afternoon!

Speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to