General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chris_here
(newbie) Tue 11-Nov-14 10:22:08
Print Post

Plusnet Fiber traffic shaping ok for home work?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm considering switching from Sky Broadband to PlusNet unlimited fiber as FTTC has recently been installed in my area (Billericay, Essex). However I'm concerned about their traffic shaping policy (Sky has none) and how it would affect my remote working activity. I'm using protocols like SSH/SCP (22), MySQL (3306), PostgreSQL (5432), RDP, VPN, MongoDB and others, and wonder whether there's a risk some of them become difficult to use once I've switched.

Do anyone here has first-hand experience about using "professional" services on PlusNet Fiber? Have you experienced any trouble with traffic shaping?

Thanks for your help,
Chris
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Tue 11-Nov-14 10:25:37
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Fiber traffic shaping ok for home work?

[re: chris_here] [link to this post]

Hi Chris,

I know you're looking more for advice from other users rather than an ISP rep, but in my opinion and experience the traffic management (we don't rate limit) won't cause issues with those services.

We prioritise certain traffic above others to ensure a good quality of service, but we don't apply rate limits to the line so as long as you have the bandwidth available your services will work as fast as they can.

Have a read here for some more info: http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/12/21/its-unlimi...

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Nov-14 11:13:04
Print Post

I use ssh, although I usually use non-standard ports for my servers, to aid security.

At one time, years back, PN's traffic system slowed me down when I used port 10,000. Since then I've used one of the standard VPN port numbers without hassle, and other obscure port numbers. I haven't had any issues at all through fibre, which we've had in a few package guises for nearly 4 years.

The wife tends to use bog-standard VPNs without issue.

I've used MySQL and Oracle ports too, but I can't recall whether I've used them natively, or tunnelled over an SSH connection.

PN has a good customer forum, and they do tend to pay attention there if you have an obscure port issue.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chris_here
(newbie) Tue 11-Nov-14 11:22:16
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

Hi Chris,

thanks a lot for the prompt answer indeed, I think you're hitting the crux of the issue here. Basically what is seemingly very difficult to figure out from the material available about PlusNet Traffic Shaping is whether the prioritization is done solely on the customer access link or on the core network.

In the former case, my flows are competing against other flows from the same household, and traffic shaping is a non-issue indeed, as I could use good old manual traffic policing (i.e., shouting at the kids to stop their senseless downloading) to restore good service. But let's make it very clear, the policing is entirely useless to PlusNet from a commercial point of view as it doesn't reduce excessive usage a bit. In fact it could as well be an option in the user's contract, like parental control for instance.

In the latter case, my flows are competing against other PlusNet users' activity, and there's a real risk that my meager Bronze-categorized MongoDB traffic be crushed under scores of WoW gamers and NetFlix customers in the evening. In fact it's almost guaranteed to be the case at some point,

Can you unequivocally state which option happens to be the case with PlusNet as of now? I think that would clarify the matter quite a bit.

Thanks for your support,
Chris
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Tue 11-Nov-14 11:40:16
Print Post

As I understand it, it is prioritization of your own traffic only.. so if you are downloading and using Netflix it will prioritize the streaming. Very beneficial for most people but I do like the idea of being able to turn it on or off in your account.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Nov-14 11:55:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by chris_here:
Hi Chris,

In the former case, my flows are competing against other flows from the same household, and traffic shaping is a non-issue indeed, as I could use good old manual traffic policing (i.e., shouting at the kids to stop their senseless downloading) to restore good service.

maybe its time to find a better modem router which can limit devices speeds.

In the latter case, my flows are competing against other PlusNet users' activity, and there's a real risk that my meager Bronze-categorized MongoDB traffic be crushed under scores of WoW gamers and NetFlix customers in the evening. In fact it's almost guaranteed to be the case at some point,

Can you unequivocally state which option happens to be the case with PlusNet as of now? I think that would clarify the matter quite a bit.

Thanks for your support,
Chris

Honestly PN has enough bandwidth that wow users will not cause problems with vpns/sql etc ..
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Nov-14 11:59:55
Print Post

From the perspective of a user who has watched how PN have changed their traffic management over the years...

Prioritisation happens in both directions.

That means the prioritisation works for you vs the kids - giving preference to real-time protocols over non-real-time. Streaming & VoIP over downloads.

It also works for your streams competing against all other users, although you must remember to not think of it quite as "all" other users: you mostly compete against the subset of other users who happen to have connected via the same gateway.

Some graphs available here:
http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performa...

Some others here, but they aren't working for me at the moment:
http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performa...

When PN added the "unlimited" packages, they were keen to point out that they would keep installing capacity (ie pipes & gateways) to ensure that your streams didn't end up competing with other users.

In practice, this seems to be mostly the case ... however, gateways sometimes exhibit faults, so some of the users do encounter queuing & latency issues. It is usually solved by swapping gateway - gateway allocation is done randomly when a PPP session is started, so you can usually get yourself switched by restarting the PPP session in the router.

There's also this page on finding the traffic classifications:
http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wires...

Their current traffic management (which, on unlimited, is all about prioritisation and not about throttling) policy doesn't attempt to reduce excess usage, or timeshift it into the overnight slot. I guess that worked when P2P was the biggest user, and would hog every spare bit. Nowadays, the peak happens at 9pm, and is more from video.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Nov-14 12:03:01
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

Plusnet said it applies at network level as well as line level. The question was raised soon after that blog entry was published.

The person in charge of the capacity planning at that time also said capacity is scaled to provide full throughput on bronze level. The shaping is basically to ensure VOIP, gaming and live streaming don't get messed up at any point.

The Pro option is still available on a month by month basis. That removes the shaping, but is provided more for legacy products where throttling is employed and it removes that. I usually recommend starting with the standard product, and if problems are encountered try the Pro option and see if helps. £5 per month and controlled through your Member Centre.

This page of tbb BQM graphs may be of interest. You need a static IP address of course - again done through your Member Centre for a one-off £5.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Nov-14 12:07:04
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Nowadays, the peak happens at 9pm, and is more from video.
As can be seen (by the others) on these graphs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Tue 11-Nov-14 17:34:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok, thanks for the correction. I personally have no problem with the prioritization.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to