General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User far78
(newbie) Tue 11-Nov-14 17:07:36
Print Post

FTTP only area York - any options apart from BT?

[link to this post]

I have had ADSL since 2002, initially with Nildram, then Be, O2 and now Sky. I wish to migrate over to FTTC. However, I have been aware that our area was one of those in York that was only ever FTTP and so, as a result, whenever I've checked with most ISPs I've been told that fibre broadband is not available to me - apart from BT Infinity who say I can get up to 300mbps. I understand PlusNet had a trial for customers in FTTP-only areas to participate in but this is currently closed so is not open to me either. I am served by the Scarcroft Road cabinet if that is any help, and my postcode is YO23 1AP.

In short, does anyone know anyway I can sign up with anyone apart from BT for fibre broadband? Virgin Media isn't in our area either sadly.

Edited by far78 (Tue 11-Nov-14 17:08:13)

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Tue 11-Nov-14 18:23:52
Print Post

Re: FTTP only area York - any options apart from BT?

[re: far78] [link to this post]

So far i can find the providers are

AAISP
BT
Claranet soho (110/15 or 100/30)
Entanet (not sure maybe this is wholesale)
IDnet (maybe?)

SKY FTTC - 40/10

Edited by epyon (Tue 11-Nov-14 18:25:22)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Nov-14 18:26:43
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Zen should do, but may end up needing to call if checker does not know about area yet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Tue 11-Nov-14 19:06:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yup up to 110Mbps

http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband/fibre-optic-...

SKY FTTC - 40/10
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 12-Nov-14 01:06:47
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Entanet in this case would mean resellers such as Aquiss, Freeola and vivaciti will be able to offer it if they choose. Prices would be high, as the FTTC ones are.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User cajef
(experienced) Wed 12-Nov-14 11:36:36
Print Post

According to one of the Plusnet reps on their FTTP trial forum you can still get it if it is the only option for you.

if you're moving house to an FTTP only area then we can still order you FTTP, just let us know when you put the request in to move house and we'll be able to arrange it

PlusNet FTTP Unlimited
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Standard User sills
(regular) Wed 12-Nov-14 19:31:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Entanet in this case would mean resellers such as Aquiss, Freeola and vivaciti will be able to offer it if they choose. Prices would be high, as the FTTC ones are.
I'm fairly sure I can post these, from the price list Enta resellers can give to customers. The Enta recommended customer price is the same as FTTC for the base 40 down, 2 up family unlimited package at £26.75+VAT.

To upgrade the speed you add the following per month:
down/up
40/10 - £1.25
80/20 - £4.25
220/20 - £56.25
330/30 - £155.69

Add an extra £10 if you don't take Enta line rental.
Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Nov-14 19:16:10
Print Post

[re: sills] [link to this post]

Sills, that's incorrect.

FTTP is not available, via Entanet, as an unlimited service presently, only capped allowances.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Limited
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
Standard User sills
(regular) Thu 13-Nov-14 19:34:31
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

Oops, sorry, you're right.

The maximum usage on the family ones is 90GB, which is £39.99 plus the FTTP prices as above. After that you have to move to business accounts, the highest usage is 360GB which is £127.70 plus the FTTP price.

I use around 250-300GB a month on my FTTC connection, so it would be VERY expensive. We've never sold an FTTP connection, and only have two customers who have it available at their location.
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Tue 25-Nov-14 13:13:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by far78:
... . I understand PlusNet had a trial for customers in FTTP-only areas to participate in but this is currently closed so is not open to me either. I am served by the Scarcroft Road cabinet if that is any help, and my postcode is YO23 1AP.

In short, does anyone know anyway I can sign up with anyone apart from BT for fibre broadband? Virgin Media isn't in our area either sadly.

The PlusNet FTTP Trial has now been re-opened to existing customers (in other words you would need to sign up for ADSL first, then apply to go on the trial).
See here
  Print Thread

Jump to