General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User colmcam
(newbie) Wed 12-Nov-14 17:22:14
Print Post

Accepting FTTC Orders - Or Not?

[link to this post]

I'm on the Bridge of Dee exchange (code WSBDD) in rural south Scotland. I have ADSL Max 20CN, up to 8 MBPS, and like the rest of the village (I think) I'm on an EO line. According to my ISP (Plusnet), contention at the exchange is very high, due to near full capacity, thus download speeds at times are very low.

Fibre is supposed to be available soon in some of our area as part of Digital Scotland's superfast rollout but their rollout coverage map has no geographical features such as towns, roads etc (except the coastline) so pinpointing a small area like ours with accuracy is not possible. However, two new slim green cabinets have recently been installed outside the exchange, hopefully PCP and FTTC cabinets.

When I key my phone number or Post Code into https://www.dslchecker.bt.com it shows the ADSL Max and Fixed Rate products only, no FFTC. However, when I key our Post Code into the Openreach Superfast Fibre Website checker, up pops a map with a green 'Accepting Orders' icon!

Does this mean FTTC might be on its way? Any relevant insight based on knowledge and experience gratefully received
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Nov-14 18:07:05
Print Post

Re: Accepting FTTC Orders - Or Not?

[re: colmcam] [link to this post]

It can take a few weeks to a few months from when the cabinets appear to it being available to order.

It is a small exchange and believe that it has no traditional cabinets, if one cabinet is solid green and the other is green with some air vent slots then one is a new phone cabinet and the other is a fibre cabinet.

Once it is all wired in you will get an idea, the first stage may be the appearance of a cabinet number against the line on the dslchecker.

If one cabinet has the air vents then a strong sign FTTC is on the way and then distance from you to that cabinet will be the key.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User colmcam
(newbie) Wed 12-Nov-14 19:55:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

MrSaffron, Thank you very much for the information.

I think one of the cabinets has air vents but I'll check in daylight tomorrow.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User colmcam
(newbie) Thu 13-Nov-14 15:10:37
Print Post

[re: colmcam] [link to this post]

MrSaffron,

Yes, one of the cabinets has air vents.

Lots of Openreach activity yesterday evening, both cabinets open and engineers working on them, so it's looking good for FTTC reasonably soon. I'll look out for changes on https://www.dslchecker.bt.com.

Thanks again for the info'.
  Print Thread

Jump to