General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PaulieM
(learned) Sun 16-Nov-14 23:03:50
Print Post

Fibre on Demand (Which ISP can I buy it from)

[link to this post]

I'm on an exchange that supports Fibre on demand and am considering ordering it despite the high installation cost and harsh terms, however I am struggling to find any ISP that sells the service!

Anyone know of any ISP (but not BT) that can provide an install cost estimate and can anyone else that has been through the process share their experiences?
Standard User bdo21
(regular) Mon 17-Nov-14 20:21:19
Print Post

Re: Fibre on Demand (Which ISP can I buy it from)

[re: PaulieM] [link to this post]

AAISP or Plusnet offered it on an ad-hoc basis when I looked into it at the beginning of the year. I should be able to post my experience by the end of the year (you can gather from this that it has been a long process!) Send me a pm if you want some specific details now
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 17-Nov-14 20:25:28
Print Post

[re: bdo21] [link to this post]

Why can't you just post them here?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bdo21
(regular) Mon 17-Nov-14 21:15:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I have spent 11months coaxing FTTPoD out of BT - I think I am on the home straight now but I'm not going to comment on a public forum until it is done! Hopefully I'll be able to post my full experience in a couple of weeks. Happy to help one-on-one if useful
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 17-Nov-14 21:32:10
Print Post

Are you thinking that commenting on a public forum will jeopardize your getting a connection?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 17-Nov-14 21:51:49)

Standard User PaulieM
(learned) Tue 18-Nov-14 00:03:30
Print Post

I will hold off until I hear your experiences then. I contacted Zen about it today who provide my existing 80/20 connection.

It seemed to be relatively straightforward and I was happy to pay a premium, but the 259 per month cost is a bit too steep. I don't really download much, but was thinking of sending online backups that go to some servers I have in a datacentre back to a NAS at home and wanted the extra speed.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Nov-14 00:10:17
Print Post

AAISP might have done, but I doubt it. I checked when I first read the OP on Sunday night. On this page they say:-
Note that there is an option of FTTP on demand shown on availability checkers. This is a service which we are not selling because of the unreasonable costs and terms. We can, however, provide bonded FTTC lines as an alternative for customers wanting the higher speeds offered.
The position on Plusnet is far from clear.

Gradwell offer it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Tue 18-Nov-14 19:05:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Who is gradwell xD

edit: there checker seems pretty good.

SKY FTTC - 40/10
My Ping

Edited by epyon (Tue 18-Nov-14 19:07:34)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Nov-14 20:07:31
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

They used to provide the Newnet VOIP service IIRC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User Galoka
(regular) Tue 18-Nov-14 23:42:44
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
Who is gradwell xD

[/quote

they have been around since the late 90's IIRC started off failry small doing webhosting, email usenet access etc. Now a reaobaly sized comapny providing business internet and coms services.
  Print Thread

Jump to