General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jtthedevil
(learned) Mon 17-Nov-14 13:10:01
Print Post

Faster Fibre Broadband (5-15mb)

[link to this post]

Anyone had any success ordering any fibre product in the 5-15mb range recently?

I had an order going through BT to switch from Talktalk to the Unlimited Faster Broadband, but it was apparently rejected after order by Openreach. The sales team in BT for the UFB said this was something to do with Openreach and that the product would be available again from the middle of December.

I was a little puzzled as I thought UFB was just rebadged Infinity which kept the low speeds off their Infinity average. I was wondering then, would this perhaps be them thinking of releasing the GEA FTTC ADSL2 reported last month in news, or even the line profile/vectoring change to provide faster speeds and greater range?

Anyone with insider knowledge hear anything?

Edited by jtthedevil (Mon 17-Nov-14 13:10:45)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Nov-14 13:26:15
Print Post

Re: Faster Fibre Broadband (5-15mb)

[re: jtthedevil] [link to this post]

UFB is just a BT Retail product

Openreach has just three FTTC services

40/2
40/10
80/20

Most likely just a mess of an order in the retail systems

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jtthedevil
(learned) Mon 17-Nov-14 14:06:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, maybe product was the wrong turn of phrase, but the tech is still FTTC. The UFB is available from others but they just lump it in with their fibre offerings. I was able to get quotes from Plusnet and Sky, but not talktalk who i'm currently with. They don't seem to offer FTTC below 15mb.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Nov-14 14:38:01
Print Post

[re: jtthedevil] [link to this post]

It is the retailers choice nothing to do with Openreach in this case.

If Openreach think you are too far away then no speed will show up when you use the checker at and do a telephone number of full address check (i.e. house number plus street plus postcode)
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

The speed quotes should really all be the same, but they sometimes interpret the results from the checker I linked to in different ways.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jtthedevil
(learned) Mon 17-Nov-14 15:29:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As a pleasant surprise, once Talktalk got a sniff of me leaving, they were suddenly able to offer me the service with a speed estimate of 12mb which I accepted along with a lorry load of table salt. Half price for 12mths at £5 and £10 for 6mths after so even with the £8.50 Essentials, works out cheaper than the rest.
  Print Thread

Jump to