General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Smish
(newbie) Wed 19-Nov-14 12:40:32
Print Post

Openreach roll out and FTTP

[link to this post]

Hi all. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but Openreach are really starting to confuse me.
For some time now, our area has been marked as Fibre ready, yet I still can't get fibre broadband from BT. I was in contact with someone via email from nga.enquiries (don't know if that makes sense) but that no longer exists. Anyway... I am about 3/4 of a mile from my exchange, and am told that we are due to have FTTP rather than FTTC. The roll out checker has been telling me for 2 years that it's not available, but now it's saying UR (Under Review) does this sound promising to any of you? Our only cable supplier is Virgin, and it's a company I don't ever want to deal with again.
Thanks for your time all.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Nov-14 13:18:39
Print Post

Re: Openreach roll out and FTTP

[re: Smish] [link to this post]

Without more information on the precise area hard to say for sure, but the commercial roll-out while a lot slower is still filling in the little bits they still have left to do.

The FTTP roll-out was going to be much larger at one point, so your hope may be based on that old assumption, rather than a more recent check.

As far a council would be concerned if you can order virgin media you are not on the list to get help from their either.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Smish
(newbie) Wed 19-Nov-14 13:41:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for the speedy reply. I'm in Exeter and annoyingly I have BT Infinity available either side of my area and the fibre cables have been laid for almost 3 years now. According to nga enquiries, we should've gone live around the Summer of 2013. This was delayed until the end of 2013, then delayed again until March this year. I can't remember when I was supposed to contact Openreach again, but did so with a question and the email address is no longer live. I really don't want to sign up to an 18 month contract with Virgin and then find out that our exchange is accepting orders after being Under Review for some time. All very confusing stuff, but I prefer the download speeds (and upload) from BT.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Nov-14 13:51:34
Print Post

To get any more information in this case need to know an address, so email or private message me so can look at where things stand and chase Openreach if its not clear what is going on.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Smish
(newbie) Wed 19-Nov-14 14:05:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks again for your reply. I've sent my address and postcode in a private message.
Standard User Smish
(newbie) Wed 19-Nov-14 23:47:34
Print Post

Here is part of an email I received from nga enquiries in April 2013.
I emailed as an SFI engineer had visited my home regarding ADSL internet issues and he had asked why I don't just switch to Fibre as it's available.

"The last Engineer that visited my home was talking about Fibre Broadband and asked why I don't just switch to that. I told him roughly what you had said in your email, and he was surprised as he had spotter the Fibre Broadband "node" at the top of the pole and even pointed out the thick black wire that feeds it. Because of this, he assumed and couldn't understand why we do not have Fibre Broadband.

I have no idea if the information from the Engineer is correct, but nga enquiries responded with "Contact us in 4-6 months time for an update."
  Print Thread

Jump to