General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Fenris
(experienced) Wed 19-Nov-14 19:38:38
Print Post

FTTC Speeds on WiFi?

[link to this post]

I have had 40Mb medium fibre activated with talktalk earlier today, I am syncing at:

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):

My top speed so far is 30Mb on my nexus 5 phone that supports 5GHz WiFi, my PC upstairs gets 25Mb maximum. I'm using the wireless 802.11ac router supplied by talktalk. I was hoping things would be faster, I used to sync at just over 14Mb on adsl2+ and my download speeds were around 12Mb usually.

I should say my PC [laptop] is only 802.11n capable, but even so I expected to still manage 39Mb, it's capable of 54Mb or 72Mb at times. Does anyone get better speeds using non-ac kit?

I was thinking of getting an 802.11ac usb stick to see if that'd help, but don't want to waste my money.

Edited by Fenris (Wed 19-Nov-14 20:05:11)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Nov-14 19:55:43
Print Post

Re: FTTC Speeds on WiFi?

[re: Fenris] [link to this post]

See our router reviews on main site 802.11n can go faster

Using 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz? Issue may be congestion in 2.4 spectrum

To test all is well verify speeds connecting PC using ethernet cable

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User george1976
(newbie) Wed 19-Nov-14 20:27:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You probably have interference. Microwave ovens, cordless phones, wireless door bells, fluorescent lights,your neighbours interference if you live in a flat. All of those cause interference.
If I remember correctly InSSider can help you see which wireless channels are used the most and you can make your selection after you see that but it can help you detect other sources.
Good luck

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fenris
(experienced) Wed 19-Nov-14 20:29:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I just tried an ethernet cable, I got 32 - 35Mb with that. I do pick-up at least half a dozen other routers on Wifi. The neighbours both sides have strong signals, it's congested 2.4 Ghz probably it seems then, that's all the laptop card supports.

Edited by Fenris (Wed 19-Nov-14 20:34:00)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 19-Nov-14 23:34:05
Print Post

I can get 53Mbps or so on wireless "n" connecting at 72Mbps, but it can suffer at times, when Ethernet is fine.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User Bapteeed
(regular) Thu 20-Nov-14 02:29:14
Print Post

try this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fa... to see which channels are in use
Standard User qpop
(newbie) Thu 20-Nov-14 15:51:09
Print Post

I mentioned in another thread that my subjective experience of the provided modem/router hasn't been good.

In similar conditions to you, with router on ground floor and main PC on first floor connected by wifi N, the supplied router yielded average speeds of 40mbps, compared to an ECI modem and TP-Link router (dual-band N) producing average speeds of 65mbps.
  Print Thread

Jump to