General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Thu 20-Nov-14 09:33:25
Print Post

FTTP mapping data? If not, Virgin or Ultrafast providers?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm about to move to another area of the country for a job. I'm looking at houses in a decent radius of the new location, meaning I can live anywhere from Ipswich, to Colchester, to Bury St Edmunds.

I don't really have a preference on these areas and a big factor in moving is broadband speed and availability. lots of the little villages in the area don't even have FTTC.

Is there some sort of map of what is available where? Ideally I would like Hyperoptic/Gigaclear, failing that BT FTTP, failing that VM 152mbit, failing that FTTC with at least 60mbit sync.

I note that VM seems to be in Ipswich but it's a very laborious task finding places, deciding it looks good, then checking BB availability to find it's 2mbit ADSL only.

I've yet to find any BT FTTP or ultrafast providers in the area, but I could be missing somewhere?

A map would be really helpful :/
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 20-Nov-14 09:51:36
Print Post

Re: FTTP mapping data? If not, Virgin or Ultrafast providers *DELETED* *DELETED*

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

Post deleted by MHC
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Nov-14 10:19:33
Print Post

Re: FTTP mapping data? If not, Virgin or Ultrafast providers

Suffolk: one of the counties with least provision for FTTC, and not very well supported for commercial NGA by BT or BM. Even the county-led BDUK project only has a target of 85% for phase 1, though they are the earliest county for the phase 2 projects.

See here for the latest public consultation documents:
http://www.betterbroadbandsuffolk.com/Page.aspx?ID=22

The phase 2 plans seem to start from a more realistic base than the phase 1 plan did.
Maps:
http://www.betterbroadbandsuffolk.com/Content/Docume...

You'll essentially find that VM coverage will be where the maps show "black" NGA coverage.

I suspect that Hyperoptic coverage is nil, and Gigaclear is probably the same ... but their websites will tell you much better.

Essex isn't much better, and their BDUK project is a lot further behind Suffolk's.
Maps:
http://www.superfastessex.org/Maps.aspx

Both maps are for intended superfast coverage, not ultrafast. I don't know of anywhere that maps ultrafast yet. You'll still need to do some of the laborious stuff.

Edited by WWWombat (Thu 20-Nov-14 10:21:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nemeth782
(member) Fri 21-Nov-14 10:06:52
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Suffolk: one of the counties with least provision for FTTC, and not very well supported for commercial NGA by BT or BM. Even the county-led BDUK project only has a target of 85% for phase 1, though they are the earliest county for the phase 2 projects.

See here for the latest public consultation documents:
http://www.betterbroadbandsuffolk.com/Page.aspx?ID=22

The phase 2 plans seem to start from a more realistic base than the phase 1 plan did.
Maps:
http://www.betterbroadbandsuffolk.com/Content/Docume...

You'll essentially find that VM coverage will be where the maps show "black" NGA coverage.

I suspect that Hyperoptic coverage is nil, and Gigaclear is probably the same ... but their websites will tell you much better.

Essex isn't much better, and their BDUK project is a lot further behind Suffolk's.
Maps:
http://www.superfastessex.org/Maps.aspx

Both maps are for intended superfast coverage, not ultrafast. I don't know of anywhere that maps ultrafast yet. You'll still need to do some of the laborious stuff.

Thanks for all that, very helpful. I guess I will stick to Virgin areas for now then, I'm not the biggest fan of VM but it seems to give me the best chance of upgrades in the future (I can see VM hitting 300mbit before FTTP or G.Fast rolls out widely!)

My biggest fear was that I was going to end up missing out on some random village with 1000mbit gigaclear just because I wasn't aware of it.

Seems strange that an area in commuting distance to London is so bad, I expected the situation to be much better than here in Avon.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Nov-14 11:08:31
Print Post

The Virgin Media layer at http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/?utm_source=mainsite&... will help a bit

The speed test layer is also on there and will be useful as roll-outs are changing every week e.g. Foxall (IP10 0JP) cabinet 46 went live for FTTC services only a week ago.

We do have a new version to replace this that we have built ourselves, but rushing to get lots of other things done.

The Fibre FTTC layer is JUST an estimate layer, but will help with ruling out villages that even if they got FTTC would be slow.

Only 0.2% of Suffolk has FTTP from Openreach available and we estimate that 75% of households have FTTC available to them (or Virgin Media only in some cases) This is on a par with Essex but Essex seems to get better speeds from the FTTC where available.

No random Gigabit villages we know of in Suffolk, there is some fixed wireless.

In terms of commuting distance, while people still commute the train fares mean for many stations they are not as busy at rush hour for London trains as they used to be.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Fri 21-Nov-14 14:18:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Only 0.2% of Suffolk has FTTP from Openreach available

Any pointers as to where? wink

The TBB map is very useful, thanks for that.

The only annoying thing is that the FTTC data only goes as high as "over 24mbit".

If I had FTTC at 24mbit I would be unhappy with it!!

Edited by nemeth782 (Fri 21-Nov-14 14:20:59)

Standard User APTMAN
(newbie) Fri 21-Nov-14 16:40:35
Print Post

Just email Hyperoptic/Gigaclear and ask them what they have done around that area.
Also tell your estate agent it's part of your criteria.

Edited by APTMAN (Fri 21-Nov-14 16:42:00)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Nov-14 17:26:54
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

Trust me they have no activity in those areas at this time, the two providers that is

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Nov-14 17:33:29
Print Post

We don't go higher as a small error in the location of a property in a postcode can mean the difference between 76 Mbps and 50 Mbps. So it exists as a guide to help whittle down your search radius at least.

IPSWICH BELSTEAD EABEL Cab 34 IP2 8SG
IPSWICH FOXHALL EAFOX Cab 45 IP3 9FE
IPSWICH ATE EAIPS Cab 47 IP3 0HN
IPSWICH ATE EAIPS Cab 97 IP3 0NA
IPSWICH ATE EAIPS Cab 95 IP1 1AF

If you want FTTP in East Anglia biggest concentration is Caxton e.g. CB23 5BH

Just need another pair of hands as am planning a new estimate layer that shows the FTTP as a higher speed point. For now late nights are the extra hand subsitute

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Nov-14 11:13:06
Print Post

More FTTP in Needham Market

CEDAR WALK, NEEDHAM MARKET, IPSWICH, IP6 8BF now has WBC FTTP available to order.

Only just went live and looks like new build housing that is all built and being lived in.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to