General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User arnoldh
(newbie) Sun 23-Nov-14 18:13:41
Print Post

Logistics of switching to fibre.

[link to this post]

I'm on Wargrave exchange, currently on ADSL2+ with TalkTalk, my phone is with BT (using SMPF). My cabinet is about to be enabled for fibre (by 31/12/14). When it's available, I will probably switch to FTTC with Zen. However, I don't want to switch to fibre till Zen have a self install option, which they say will not be till some time in the new year.

Zen have suggested that I could switch my existing ADSL supply to them now then switch to fibre when self install becomes available. I'm not convinced this would be advisable. I think it would be simpler and safer to wait and switch direct from ADSL with TT to fibre with Zen, but I may be misunderstanding how the switches would be done. Can anyone confirm if my reasoning is correct?

As I understand it, to switch to fibre all that needs to be done externally is a simple connection of my line at the existing cabinet to the new fibre cabinet, and nothing needs to be done at the exchange.

However, if I switch ADSL2+ with TalkTalk to ADSL2+ with Zen, there will need to be changes at the exchange. I think that with an SMPF TalkTalk line, my telephone line must currently be routed to TT's equipment where the voice component gets split off and sent back to BT's equipment. If my ADSL service is switched to Zen (who use BTw) my incoming line will have to be connected to a different place on BT's MDF. I don't know whether this will just involve a Openreach engineer, or possible TT as well.

But switching my ADSL2 service now to Zen seems to introduce extra complexity and possibility for problems, and it would be simpler and safer to wait until I can switch direct from ADSL with TT to fibre with Zen.

Does my reasoning make sense?
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Nov-14 19:18:21
Print Post

Re: Logistics of switching to fibre.

[re: arnoldh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by arnoldh:

I don't think so, I would say quite the opposite. If you have determined to move to Zen anyway then far better to get any complications regarding LLU out of the way now and move to Zen ADSL, then the switch to FTTC should be much simpler.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User arnoldh
(newbie) Sun 23-Nov-14 19:33:54
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:

I don't think so, I would say quite the opposite. If you have determined to move to Zen anyway then far better to get any complications regarding LLU out of the way now and move to Zen ADSL, then the switch to FTTC should be much simpler.

But if I've understood correctly the switch to FTTC is all done at the cabinet, nothing at the exchange. So isn't anything that's done at the exchange today irrelevant when the line is eventually switched to FTTC?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Nov-14 19:41:41
Print Post

So isn't anything that's done at the exchange today irrelevant when the line is eventually switched to FTTC?

Yes, that was largely my point smile

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 23-Nov-14 19:45:52
Print Post

I would suggest going the route Zen suggest. That puts in in two distinct stages and less chance for problems and if they do occur, it will be easier to resolve. Doing both at the same time means that the FTTC connection at the cabinet needs to be made and the move of your line between frames needs to be co-ordinated and actioned correctly.

What you will need, for your own peace of mind is an email from Zen saying that when you do move from ADSL to FTTC there will be no penalty for early termination of the ADSL contract and that your FTTC will start from the transfer date.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 23-Nov-14 19:47:46
Print Post

I think we both agree ... I typed my reply a while back and forget to finish the submission!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User arnoldh
(newbie) Sun 23-Nov-14 20:35:50
Print Post

Thanks for both responses.

My assumption was that the fibre link from the cabinet to the exchange carries all the FTTC connections - that they don't get split up at the exchange - and that's why I said nothing would have to be done at the exchange to move to FTTC later. But even if I've got this right, I'd forgotten my voice connections would have to be moved back to BT's equipment. So yes, I can now see it would be better to get ADSL switched first to get the phone connection sorted out.

I need to understand more about the technology. I've used this link as an aid to understanding ADSL connections. Is there anything similar for fibre?

Edited by arnoldh (Sun 23-Nov-14 21:34:01)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Nov-14 22:08:56
Print Post

I can recommend http://robertos.me.uk/html/fttx.html (before he does it himself smile)

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Nov-14 22:56:16
Print Post

In his original post the OP states they are on SMPF, with 'BT' for voice, so no need to do anything other than cancel the TT ADSL once the FTTC is connected surely ?

It's been a while since I was in there, but don't recall any LLU equipment in Wargrave exchange.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 23-Nov-14 23:50:34
Print Post

tongue smile
I don't think that page really covers the point.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to