General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Speedbird_12T
(newbie) Wed 26-Nov-14 15:57:24
Print Post

Do I need that extra speed?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice. After 3 years on a new build estate with 2-3mbps ADSL we have finally had fibre installed (to the first couple of houses anyways) which is FTTP. Due to it being FTTP and having no option of FTTC I'm going to have to leave my beloved Sky Broadband to get fibre from BT (I've spoken to Sky and they say it they wouldn't even look at my exchange until the middle of next year).
Anyways, I have the option of Infinity 3 and 4 along with Infinity 1 and 2. I'm mainly looking at Infinity 2 (76mbps) or Infinity 3 (200mbps) with infinity 3 being about £15 a month more expensive. My question is, Do I need 200mbps (I know i want it, but do I need it) Its purely for personal use at home with Sky On Demand, Netflix, iPhones and a Synology NAS etc so would I actually notice the difference between 76 and 200mbps? Or should I follow the "go big or go home" saying!?

Thanks for any advice,
Jon
Standard User hippyharry
(regular) Wed 26-Nov-14 16:00:24
Print Post

Re: Do I need that extra speed?

[re: Speedbird_12T] [link to this post]

Why not just go with the 76mbps one, see how it goes and if you feel you need that extra speed, then just upgrade?

You're in the lucky position where you can go higher if you need it, so that extra speed is always going to be there if you want it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Nov-14 16:02:49
Print Post

If the UHD TV is on the wish list then the extra speed will be enjoyed, as you can stream and download at the same time.

With FTTP connecting at the 76 Mbps on Infinity 2 of course it can run two UHD streams and have spare room, but the faster products do give you a slightly larger bite at the shared capacity in the overall network. How much difference this makes is not really known as so few order the faster versions.

Even if Sky was at your exchange they don't sell the GEA-FTTP service.

If you have to ask if the £15 is worth spending, suggests budget is a concern (not uncommon) so stick with Infinity 2, am sure they will let you upgrade if you want to in a years time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 26-Nov-14 16:16:11
Print Post

Go for 76 Mbps - and see how it fares. I have FTTC at around 60Mbps which allows two HD video streams to TVs another PC watching video and a couple more surfing the web ... no problems whatsoever with bandwidth.

If you do finally find it limiting then it is easy to upgrade and all that is needed is a minor software configuration change. At present if a BT customer wants to move to a higher spec A / V DSLproduct (with BT) and is still in contract, BT will allow early termination with no charges provided you agree a new minimum contract for the new service. I can see no reason for that to be different - so just ask about it when enquiring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Nov-14 16:19:06
Print Post

I started with a 40/10 connection on FTTC, and moved to 80/20 when it was trialled. Most of the time you barely notice the difference ... except when downloading whole DVDs of, say, a Linux distribution.

For downstream, you probably should be guided by how many parallel HD streams would be going on. Upstream would be guided by any need for backups into the cloud ... unless you have a need to upload photos and videos. As "personal use", those are probably the most intensive + most irritating use cases you could expect.

Unless you *know* you will hit problems in one direction or the other, I doubt the extra £15pm for Infinity 3 would be worth it.

The only way to find out is to try the smaller package first, and choose to upgrade later.
Standard User TheEulerID
(regular) Wed 26-Nov-14 16:20:59
Print Post

The simple answer is, almost certainly not. Get the cheaper package and see how it goes. If you feel the need, upgrade later. Downgrading is a much bigger problem than upgrading given the way contracts work.

People can engage in discussions about multiple UHD streaming etc., but that's mostly theoretical given the limited sources and the questionable benefit given typical screen sizes and viewing distances in the UK (and the extra costs for such streams). Maybe large scale cloud storage as a demand driver too, but that introduces a lot of other costs.

So, basically, it's a luxury and you can have the pleasure of trying to bend the pointer on the download measurement meters. But then I'm guessing you know that...

nb. non-BT support for GEA-FTTP is poor, to put it mildly. It's likely to change when, and if, other SPs care to put the investment into place for things like systems integration. I guess they see the limited current market as not worth their while just yet.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Nov-14 16:21:08
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

At least with FTTP the sync isn't affected by distance or anything else. Only congestion can slow the link down. With FTTC most people don't see 76Mb/s - I get 49 and it still allows everything most people need. A guaranteed sync on FTTP with a "up to 76Mb/s" service will provide more than the vast majority can get on FTTC - and as you and others have said can always upgrade later.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Nov-14 16:38:38
Print Post

Take the Infinity 2 package. I get around 65 to 70 meg on FTTC, and that happily copes with two teenagers doing God-knows-what and still leaves plenty for me.

Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Wed 26-Nov-14 16:38:45
Print Post

If you think Infinity 1 or Infinity 2 speeds will be satisfactory, then you may be interested to know that PlusNet (actually owned by BT, but without the Bangalore support staff) have just re-opened their FTTP trial. It's open to existing customers only, so you would have to sign-up for the ADSL service then transfer to FTTP.

Apart from being cheaper than BT, one advantage over the BT Infinity 1 product is that PlusNets lower speed offering is actually 40/20 Mbps as opposed to BTs 40/10 Mbps, so twice the upload speed!

Announcement link
Plusnet FTTP Trial details

Edit: Link fixed

Edited by Rastus (Wed 26-Nov-14 17:01:12)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Nov-14 16:42:37
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

I'm unsure as to whether Plusnet do anything higher than 80/20 on FTTP though, so if the OP did want 'willy waggling rights' with a 110, 220 or 330 service, would they be able to get this from Plusnet ?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to