General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User APTMAN
(newbie) Thu 27-Nov-14 12:38:47
Print Post

Openreach Modem And Set Of Fixed IP's

[link to this post]

I have a block of 8 fixed static IP's for my internet connection, x.y.z.104 to x.y.z.111 (only six usable ).
My isp has told me that the Openreach modem will be installed by Openreach (or others), normally this then feeds into a router, I do not use a router as such I use a Hardware Firewall (Smoothwall) which does the routing and that will have another one of my static ip's .
I know the default for the HG612 modem is 192.168.1.1 But I will need one of my static ip's x.y.z.104 setting on the modem LAN address .

Has anyone heard of Openreach, Kelly etc. being able to change the modem settings ?.

Of course I know how to unlock the HG612 as I use one on ADSL.smile
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 27-Nov-14 12:45:44
Print Post

Re: Openreach Modem And Set Of Fixed IP's

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

If your router establishes the PPPoE connection then it will get the WAN IP address not the modem. The modem will be invisible.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Nov-14 12:58:15
Print Post

They cannot change the modem configuration.

You need a device that can handle PPPoE and a block of static IP addresses, one presumes Smoothwall can, particularly as PPPoE is a common way of authenticating around the world.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User APTMAN
(learned) Thu 27-Nov-14 13:12:55
Print Post

Yes Smootwall will do the PPPoE (not used that setting yet).
On ADSL I use PPPoA but I will do some tests .
I normally have to use up to 3 of the ip address's (depending on modem set up ! ) and subNET mask 255.255.255.248 (which is the same on the WAN side ).
Interesting about the modem is invisible on PPPoE.

I'm never sure which 'Reply' button to use on this forum ?.
Standard User panda
(committed) Thu 27-Nov-14 13:34:41
Print Post

Assuming you are using FFC with Smoothwall to handle the multiple IPs, you don't need to modify the modem at all.
As has already been said, it's transparent and will pass the WAN address to the PPP interface used by Smoothwall.

If you're already using SW with an ADSL modem with a /29 block, FTTC will work in exactly the same manner.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 27-Nov-14 15:36:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by APTMAN:
I'm never sure which 'Reply' button to use on this forum ?.
Normally, the one on the post you wish specifically to reply to. That maintains the "thread" in threaded mode and even in flat mode is extremely helpful to readers.

In particular, in your preferences there is a setting to be emailed when a post of yours is replied to. If you reply to person A by clicking the Reply button on person B's post, if A has that setting on he won't get the email so may be a while returning, and if B has it on he could get fed up.

If you want to reply to more than one person in the same post, either use "@nick" or first do a dummy click on the Quote button for the one you are not "Reply"ing to, remove any part of the quote you don't need, copy to clipboard the quote including the html, then Reply to the intended post, including the clipboarded quote at the end.

I hope that helps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
  Print Thread

Jump to