General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User slimj
(member) Fri 28-Nov-14 16:33:20
Print Post

Speed to expect from 1.5km line?

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I'm currently looking at a house and it's currently about 1.5km from the cabinet (difficult to tell exact distance so 1.5km should be max - probably more like 1.3km). The area is not enabled for FTTC just yet but the cabinet is installed and due to go live in December. Would BT be able to advise approx distance? I can't find any details of the exact cabinet the property is connected to just yet.

So any of you out there who have FTTC installed with a long line want to suggest what speed to expect, I'm hoping it will be 20mb+ with technology improvements in the near future that will hopefully increase this speed further.

I'm currently with VFast and this is still an option, but the property is listed and is surrounded by trees so getting a signal may be tricky!

Cheers
James

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Nov-14 18:07:24
Print Post

Re: Speed to expect from 1.5km line?

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

The address option of this checker should tell you the cabinet number for the property. The line above the estimates table. Don't use the pure postcode option.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 28-Nov-14 18:15:01)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Nov-14 18:12:16
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

At 1375m by road and get http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ron3003
(newbie) Fri 28-Nov-14 20:03:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm 1.5km from the FTTC cabinet and can only get less than 8Mbps. Apparently the BT checker estimates speeds to the Drop Pole and not your actual location. It also assumes you will be within 50mtrs of that pole.
In my case the drop pole is at 1km from the cab with my address 500mtrs further down the road.
The checker posted by RobertoS gives an estimate between 14 to 21Mbps for my phone number or 3.5Mbps if I input the actual address. If I input just my postcode only adsl is shown as available.

Edited by ron3003 (Fri 28-Nov-14 20:09:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Nov-14 20:13:41
Print Post

[re: ron3003] [link to this post]

Note I'm only trying to get his cabinet number established smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User jtthedevil
(learned) Fri 28-Nov-14 20:15:54
Print Post

I'm 1.2 miles/ 1.7km from my cabinet and just got installed today. Engineer rang before installation to say he was confident I wouldn't get sync but I could try it if I wanted. Glad I said yes and neither of us could believe the results!!

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14172...

Edited by jtthedevil (Fri 28-Nov-14 22:13:39)

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Nov-14 20:36:57
Print Post

[re: jtthedevil] [link to this post]

Glad I said yes and neither of us could believe the results!!
Why have you linked to Mr Saffron's speedtest?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Nov-14 20:42:57
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Good spot!

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Nov-14 20:52:06
Print Post

[re: jtthedevil] [link to this post]

I'll add a reminder that it isn't just the length of the cable that matter, but also the thickness.

At standard 0.5mm copper, that 1500m could come out somewhere between 10 and 20Mbps - depending on levels of noise interference and other subscribers.

0.7mm copper will act like a line half that length, while 0.9mm copper will act like a line one third of the length.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Nov-14 20:55:38
Print Post

The postcode checker seems to have entirely forgotten about FTTC nowadays.

The results that BT posted about their G.fast trials (fibre to the DP) gave some stats about the drop wire (oe lead-in) distance from the DP:

20% of lines have a drop wire shorter than 19m
20% of lines have a drop wire longer than 67m.

500m must be pretty abnormal.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to