General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User meditek2
(member) Sun 30-Nov-14 10:31:21
Print Post

Please explainwhat seems impossible!

[link to this post]

I recently moved to Talktalk business's Fiber to cabinet which is about a mile away and speed with Ookla was around 11.5 mbits/s which was put down to the distance to the cabinet.

However using a proxy service with a London server produced a speed of 44.8 mbits/s.

How is this possible with my supposed line losses. Am I really downloading to my computer at that speed. I'm totally confused.

Thanks for your time,

David
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 30-Nov-14 10:36:37
Print Post

Re: Please explainwhat seems impossible!

[re: meditek2] [link to this post]

Maybe its measuring the speed to the proxy or that is messing things up to some extent.

What does http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html should for both situations.

At 1 mile, 1.6km FTTC VDSL2 will not do a connection speed that will sustain that sort of throughput.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 30-Nov-14 10:51:19
Print Post

[re: meditek2] [link to this post]

For any test the best results will be when the connection is wired, there is no AV software, no proxy involved, no VPN.

Realistically your first result will be of the right order.

Have Task Manager running with the network tab visible. Try the Ookla test and watch teh graph, try the TBB test and watch - they will be similar and then try the option with a proxy - what does it look like? Same amplitude or four times? I would guess at the same. Task Manager is always there as a sanity check - you can see if you are getting "something just over 10Mbps" but there is not the resolution for 11.5Mbps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User meditek2
(member) Sun 30-Nov-14 14:47:43
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Well, thanks for the info guys, that was very interesting. I tried it on my wired system first at got 10+ download speed with no VPN - TM networking confirmed. Next tried it with the VPN operating. Got 10+ with TBB test and 49 with Ookla whilst TM introduced a new LAN3 showing 100% whilst the real LAN 2 showed the same as before. Checked out a download with IDM and got my usual 1.37MB/s. Conclusion -all a virtual illusion!
  Print Thread

Jump to