General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jumping
(regular) Fri 05-Dec-14 20:09:57
Print Post

FTTC/FTTP Rollout

[link to this post]

I'm sure this have been asked before but couldn't find an answer....

How come new exchanges that are getting rolled out doesn't get FTTP as well as the FTTC? This seems to be more common in Scotland that an exchange only have FTTC even for big areas like in Glasgow that are only getting FTTC rolled out early next year.

My local exchange Wishaw got FTTC earlier this year and im soon moving house so have to change from my Virgin conenction as they have a blackspot on my new street on the side im buying a house but the other side have full coverage, sorry went of tangent there as its a FTTx question. Can I still get faster than the 80/20 FTTC from my exchange or is there no chance if the exchange only have FTTC and no FTTP on it?

From the stats on my new address I should be able to get close to 80/20 and I'm sure I could live with that but have gotten used to the 152mbit from Virgin...

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 79.3 60 20 19.5 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 70.6 44.6 20 14.1 -- Available

Cheers
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Dec-14 20:53:10
Print Post

Re: FTTC/FTTP Rollout

[re: Jumping] [link to this post]

At any one address it is either FTTC or FTTP (or nothing at all). BT (or BDUK if it is a BDUK funded upgrade) decide which to install for any cab depending on many factors such as size of cab/no of lines, distance of properties from the cab, economics, etc. etc. The only way currently to get FTTP at a location where FTTC has been rolled out is to go the FTTPOD route (if/when available) but this being a commercial product would cost around £300 per month on a three year contract together with an installation fee ranging from £750 to the stratosphere.
Standard User TheEulerID
(regular) Fri 05-Dec-14 21:23:04
Print Post

It's very simple. It's cost. FTTC entails only running fibre to the cabinet whilst FTTP which involves installing fibre to each property. As running a few fibres to a single FTTC cabinet is much cheaper than running fibre to a few hundred properties, then FTTC is costs much less per household.

In a sense, FTTP will be available in that something called FTTPoD (FTTP on demand) will usually be available. However, that isn't going to be cost effective for individual households as it involves paying a lot more money for the fibre to be laid from the aggregation point and a much higher monthly cost. As such, it's primarily aimed at businesses.

nb. FTTP is used in some area where there are so few houses within FTTC range that it's cheaper (per house) to build out fibre to locations near the households. Then only a short run is required using much cheaper charges. However, that requires a lot more investment than FTTC in areas with higher densities of houses.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nemeth782
(member) Fri 05-Dec-14 22:17:51
Print Post

Very few places get FTTP at all, and most of it is in cornwall, where they funded a project before there was even much commercial rollout.

lack of FTTP is certainly not a scotland thing, very few areas of the country have gotten any fttp from BT at all. None here in Bristol for a significant radius.

Edited by nemeth782 (Fri 05-Dec-14 22:18:09)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Dec-14 22:40:29
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

While cornwall has the highest amount for a single county at around 25% households. York as a city is pretty high at 8.5% and set to see cityfibre next year too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheEulerID
(regular) Fri 05-Dec-14 23:08:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It will be interesting to see what the extent of FTTP rollout will be in later stages of the BDUK projects. I see from the new Northumberland map that there are quite a few areas under consideration. Just how many will get built, who knows. I rather suspect that the projects themselves don't know what's "left in the bucket", new funding appears, claw-back might return some money not to mention other solutions under trial (like FTTrN).

I believe Cornwall ended up extending its coverage with the available money.
Standard User Jumping
(regular) Fri 05-Dec-14 23:32:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the replies.

So when you look at the fttc when and where page the pdf/xls about future exchanges FTTC/P doesn't actually mean you get FTTP?

It just felt that there was a lot more FTTP places mentioned south of the border.

FTTPod is just to pricey and I feel the fact you pay that much money for something that "only" gives you 330/30 or 40 just is a big let down for that kind of money you should be able to get much better speeds and again it just feels like UK is tripping it self up and not moving forward.

Just because things started as FTTC x years down the line when things have changed it would make more sense to rollout new stuff instead of trying to build what feels like 100% and then lean back and say ohh finished impressive ehh and the world has moved on so FTTC is like adsl or dialup again.

I think getting fibre to all houses should be standard and any new build property should get it as its good to plan for the future and be proactive instead of reactive its usually much cheaper too.
Standard User TheEulerID
(regular) Fri 05-Dec-14 23:53:15
Print Post

As mentioned, all a matter of money. It costs (roughly) £1,000 per premises to install FTTP as a broad average. Of course, new build is rather different though, but as that's less than 0.5% of the existing housing stock every year it won't make much of a dent.
Standard User tdw42
(newbie) Sat 06-Dec-14 00:55:48
Print Post

No, it means that some areas served by that particular exchange are FTTC and others FTTP, but there isn't a mix on an individual cabinet.

FTTPoD isn't expensive compared to EAD (business fibre) circuits.
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Sat 06-Dec-14 10:46:29
Print Post

I and many others would agree that we should be seeing more fttp. Mr saffron highlights York as exceptional with 8.5%, I'd guess many cities are more like 1% or less.

I might be moving myself soon, and asked him what areas in about a 60 mile radius around Colchester and Ipswich, so Essex and suffolk, commuting distance to London, and got a list of about 5 postcodes, around 50 properties.

Its certainly not a Scotland thing!

While I'd rather see us having nationwide fttp than HS2, what will happen I'm the future I believe is that after fttc is rolled out, we will see vectoring and a max speed of about 100mb in 2016 or so, the the fibre being taken to the telegraph poles and g.fast at 300mb or so for small groups of 5-10 houses in around 2018/2020.

Once fibre is on the telegraph pole fttp might be an option with a less extreme install fee.
  Print Thread

Jump to