General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Dec-14 16:31:04
Print Post

G.Fast and FTTP

[link to this post]

If G.fast was taken up by Open reach, in a more meaningful way, would this give bt and the uk some breathing space from the need for fttp to be deployed ?

Also would g.fast reduce the costs of FttpOD?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Dec-14 17:20:44
Print Post

Re: G.Fast and FTTP

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Given standard only just set you cannot berate an operator for not using g.fast yet

As I see it some more areas would get fttp and others g.fast all depending on the costs. Whether fod would be cheaper depends if the fibre to dp supported gpon as an option. Most likely to be the case as they have done same with fibre so far

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheEulerID
(regular) Sat 06-Dec-14 18:29:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I would have thought so too. The incremental cost of an extra fibre or two will be trivial. What I'd then expect is a (much cheaper) FTTPoD product to cover the running of the fibre to the property from the node. (The first one enabled would need a splitter too, but I imagine they aren't very expensive).

Of course this is speculation at this stage, but it would surely make sense to allow for it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Dec-14 18:45:58
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

yeah thats what i was thinking of that bt could use fibre to the kerb to get FTToD costs lower and then allow the customer to pay for the last meters which could be put onto a 2 year contract or as a lump sum.

The whole point of the subject was about the best way forward to full fttp.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Dec-14 18:52:55
Print Post

If I was asked by BT I would suggest demand led choice of fttp versus g.fast where if enough would go for fttp and higher speed packages that full fibre installed on a dp.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 06-Dec-14 19:06:23
Print Post

Am I missing something?

What has G.Fast got to do with the cost of FTTPoD?

Or are you assuming FTTdp + G.Fast in the first place? Then I can see the connection between the two.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Dec-14 19:10:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

G.fast needs fibre to the dp so reducing potential distance needed for fod

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 06-Dec-14 19:16:41
Print Post

Needs?

I know it is suggested, but I wasn't aware it needed it.

If they are going to put stuff at the top of poles, those are so close to the premises that G.Fast in the medium term becomes unnecessary.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 06-Dec-14 19:20:29)

Standard User TheEulerID
(regular) Sat 06-Dec-14 19:22:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'd call it FTTPoD if things like splitters had to be installed. Also the final leg of the fibre run might be a bit longer than on FTTP, depending on where the FTTrN or G.Fast node would be. However, it would be a fraction of the connection cost of the current service as there's much less fibre to run, and I'd expect monthly costs to be comparable to copper-based for the same speeds (the installation charge could cover any capital costs fully).

Anyway, just my thoughts at this stage. The advantage of G.Fast is that it saves a whole lot of work as that last run and replacing in-house masters is the most time consuming. It's especially true in my case which uses direct buried cable in the street.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Dec-14 19:25:48
Print Post

Not berating them as such but there is a criticism of bt using every single copper technology before full fttp. I understand the full costs of doing full fibre to the house and that bt wants to keep its leased lines business going as long as possible.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to