General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User crediton
(newbie) Sat 06-Dec-14 16:50:34
Print Post

Crediton, Devon New Cabinets outside exchange

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I see this site is a wealth of information, so was wondering if someone could offer any further information. I live approx 100 metres from the Crediton exchange (WWCRED) and subsequently have an Exchange Only line.

In June, a new PCP appeared outside the exchange, then in September a fibre twin was installed on the road just opposite the cabinet. There has been sporadic work on and around the cabs, since June, and a number was finally painted on the new PCP cab last week - It is Cabinet 8.

Having checked with Connecting Devon and Somerset, they gave the usual response that Exchange Only lines will be dealt with at the backend of the project, but once I re-iterated that the cabs were in place, they checked again and they suggested that network re-arrangement was being carried out and to expect the cab to go live April/May 2015.

Just wanted to see what the process of moving an EO line on to cabinet - i.e. would I move on to the PCP then at some point later the FTTC would become available, or would they wait until everything was ready to go, then move me on to a cabinet?

I can't find any information on the available dates for FTTC for Cabinet 8 anywhere, nor am I 100% sure that my line will end up being moved, but any further information would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Dec-14 17:51:00
Print Post

Re: Crediton, Devon New Cabinets outside exchange

[re: crediton] [link to this post]

Looks like some of the EO lines near to the exchange are going to benefit from FTTC.

Generally once the work to move the line over to the cabinet has been done FTTC generally becomes available fairly soon, and its done in a way that gives no lose of phone for any length of time, so not likely to spot it unless checking the address/number on BT Wholesale checker

All depends on how busy the teams are that can do this live EO rearrangement, i.e. they have a list to work through and apparently are pretty busy of late.

No dates, and its not guaranteed you will be moved across but at that distance I presume you are EX17 2BX or EX17 2BJ at a guess both which look to be cabinet 8

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User crediton
(newbie) Sat 06-Dec-14 18:29:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron,

Good work on the postcode - spot on! Much appreciate taking the time to respond. I'll just keep checking the wholesale checker!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User crediton
(newbie) Sat 03-Jan-15 14:04:55
Print Post

Just to update, our telephone line was moved to cabinet 8 yesterday. No news on DSL checker of fttc a availability date, so I'll keep checking!
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sat 03-Jan-15 14:10:04
Print Post

Great to hear, I hope its hooked up to an NGA soon for you then.

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie
VirginMedia 152/12 - BQM - SpeedTest
Standard User crediton
(newbie) Wed 07-Jan-15 11:36:43
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Well, good news - FTTC is now available on our line - so went ahead and ordered Infinity 2 from BT.

I have a query though - wandering if someone in the know might confirm - Looking on their website, it still states that an engineer visit is required for Infinity 2 installations, however, the sales person I spoke to stated that it is now a self-install process. Is that correct?

Many thanks.
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Wed 07-Jan-15 12:45:56
Print Post

No, An engineer will required to come and install an new faceplate for the FTTC and test everything is working well.

The person on the phone might of been mentioning that with Infinity 2 you don't pay an activation fee of £30

Self install to my knowledge has only been available to some people and only for the lower speed packages 40mb and below!

If you want to move your master socket about then now's a good time to decide.

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie
VirginMedia 152/12 - BQM - SpeedTest - It's The Final Countdown!
Plusnet 3776/640 - BQM - SpeedTest
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Jan-15 15:34:56
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

There is a increasing amount of variability in what BT Retail decide to book, i.e. self install or managed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to