General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fourtytwo1
(learned) Sun 07-Dec-14 15:22:13
Print Post

FTTC limited access in Norfolk, tough if >1.5kms from cab

[link to this post]

I have been pursuing why I cannot use FTTC despite my cabinet having a newish fibre cabinet next to it.......it seems I am to far away from it!! I got this reply from Better Broadband for Norfolk

FTTC is available to properties that are within approx 1.5 km of the cabinet and therefore have access to a line speed of at least 15 Mbps. This is why your property does not show an FTTC option, as it is too far away from the cabinet.

Surely the point of the goverment schemes is to improve access particuarly for those who are FURTHEST from there exchange!! So shouldnt it be that those furthest from a cabinet are connected first ??

I am 2kms from my cabinet frown and the BT checker doesnt show FTTC available for me frown
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 07-Dec-14 15:37:07
Print Post

Re: FTTC limited access in Norfolk, tough if >1.5kms from ca

[re: fourtytwo1] [link to this post]

When a target is not 100% some not getting the service is to be expected. That is the reality

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User threelegs
(newbie) Sun 07-Dec-14 15:37:49
Print Post

I am also in Norfolk and I agree that those who are the furthest from the exchange and who therefore get the slowest speeds should get the most help from the upgrade. I am lucky to get 4Mbps so when I hear of people able to get 20+ and they then get faster speeds it does somewhat annoy me. Dont get me started on the "better broadband for norfolk" site. how can a site supposedly to inform the public in norfolk go for weeks at a time without mentioning any "news of progress"

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fourtytwo1
(learned) Sun 07-Dec-14 15:43:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

i think you will find if you READ the question it was about the relative priority of near vs far users.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 07-Dec-14 16:12:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by fourtytwo1:
Surely the point of the goverment schemes is to improve access particuarly for those who are FURTHEST from there exchange!! So shouldnt it be that those furthest from a cabinet are connected first ??
No, as furthest from the exchange doesn't imply furthest from the cabinet.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 07-Dec-14 16:13:31
Print Post

I know just trying to say what many do not realise that unless a target is 100% there will always be those who miss out.

This method of roll out was set by political targets talked of in 2009 and cemented in 2011

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fastman2
(member) Sun 07-Dec-14 16:49:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

project is around maximum number of people Connected for X amount of money -- i assume there were enough people closer to the cab than you that made it worth enabling by NCC

Edited by Fastman2 (Sun 07-Dec-14 18:45:52)

Standard User fourtytwo1
(learned) Sun 07-Dec-14 17:04:08
Print Post

thanks for your replies all smile so instead of getting frustrated, I should vote with my bricks and morter!! (move nearer the exchange).

Has anybody noticed SIN498 http://www.sinet.bt.com/sinet/SINs/pdf/498v6p0_C.pdf that talks about an ADSL2 option for FTTC ?

It wasnt till after I wrote the post I realised FTTC seems only to be VDSL2 so the crosstalk problems are probably why BT seem to have imposed the 1.5kms limit, maybe ADSL2 FTTC is the way to go for long haul ?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 07-Dec-14 17:08:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by fourtytwo1:
Has anybody noticed SIN498 http://www.sinet.bt.com/sinet/SINs/pdf/498v6p0_C.pdf that talks about an ADSL2 option for FTTC ?
It's ADSL2plus actually, which is upto 24Mbps, rather than 12Mbps for ADSL2. Interesting development nonetheless.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 07-Dec-14 17:09:42
Print Post

There is no 1.5km limit as such.

BT Consumer Infinity may not offer you a service if estimate is below 15 Mbps, but other providers will, i.e. that is the retailers choice. You can order a 'fibre based broadband service that is NOT called Infinity' from BT consumer, it helps to keep averages up for advertising - blame ASA for that one.

Yes we covered the ADSL2+ from cabinet when SINET published, but no confirmed timelines from Openreach, but it could help to solve USC issues with the need to spend relatively little money.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to