General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mike166
(newbie) Fri 12-Dec-14 18:52:25
Print Post

Switching FTTC providers

[link to this post]

Hi, I am currently with TalkTalk the fibre large package and I am considering leaving them and possibly joining PlusNet.

Does anyone have any experience of switching FTTC providers?

Is it a simple process as it used to be with adsl?

When I use the PlusNet website to check whatís available on my landline number it says that I get estimates for 80mb down 20up it also says, You don't have a compatible phone service. To use our broadband you'll need to take one of our Home Phone packages - we'll give you free activation worth £25.
Your existing service should carry on working until you've switched over. Switching your phone takes 2-3 weeks and your broadband usually activates on the same day.
We need to give you a new phone number. We'll provide further details once we've processed your order.

Any help would be appreciated
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-Dec-14 19:37:09
Print Post

Re: Switching FTTC providers

[re: mike166] [link to this post]

That sounds like a coverall automated message from Plusnet's system frown.

Does the telephone number matter to you? Was it a new number issued by TalkTalk, or did you have it on a "BT" line before joining them?

What speeds do you get on TalkTalk Fibre?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User mike166
(newbie) Fri 12-Dec-14 22:12:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi RobertoS,

No the telephone number is of no great importance to me and yes it was issued by TalkTalk when I first moved to this address and took out services from them.

I get full speed 76mb down and 20mb up, I only live about 50-60 metres from my cab.

I know TalkTalk have their own network and fully take over the line so was worried that might be causing this message and it wonít be as straight forward as Iíd hoped for.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-Dec-14 23:07:08
Print Post

The number question explains why Plusnet need to issue you with a new one. As it doesn't matter to you it isn't a problem.

There was a difficulty migrating LLU FTTC to Plusnet. (I migrated non-LLU FTTC to them painlessly). I believe it was an Openreach issue. I'm not sure if that has been fixed, but they did need to start you on ADSL2+ then upgrade you.

Apart from that worry, there is a slight risk you could lose the broadband for a couple of weeks if anything goes wrong, but that applies to an LLU to non-LLU FTTC migration. The thing to do, immediately after signing up to Plusnet, (if you do!), is register on the Community Forums and ask for one of the reps to ensure it goes smoothly. They should be able to make sure the FTTC is switched at the same time as the (copper) line connection.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User mike166
(newbie) Mon 15-Dec-14 18:07:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Would there be any way to find out if they have fixed the migration issue?

I would preferably like to switch directly to PlusNet FTTC rather than ADSL first then 2-3 weeks later upgrade to FTTC.

If I do go ahead I will take your advice and register on the forums. Hopefully there wouldnít be any issues but Iíll keep my fingers crossed!
Standard User mike166
(newbie) Fri 02-Jan-15 14:02:17
Print Post

Any update on the migration issue?

Happy new year!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 02-Jan-15 15:44:42
Print Post

Happy New Year to you to.

I've just posted on the Community forums asking for a rep to look over here.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User MattyPlusnet
(newbie) Fri 02-Jan-15 16:19:50
Print Post

Thanks for flagging this RobertoS.

Hi mike166,

When I use the PlusNet website to check whatís available on my landline number it says that I get estimates for 80mb down 20up it also says, You don't have a compatible phone service. To use our broadband you'll need to take one of our Home Phone packages - we'll give you free activation worth £25.
Your existing service should carry on working until you've switched over. Switching your phone takes 2-3 weeks and your broadband usually activates on the same day.
We need to give you a new phone number. We'll provide further details once we've processed your order.

That does sound like a very broad message. I'll feed that back to someone internally. Particularly as we have ways that we could retain numbers in circumstances such as yours.

We should be able to retain your number when migrating over from LLU providers such as TalkTalk (though I understand that you're not too fussed), and the speeds should be the same.

The issue that RobertoS flagged up was an issue quite a while ago where FTTC to FTTC migrations from LLU networks were failing, and this was impacting a number of BT networked ISP's. We went for a while waiting for it to be fixed, but in the end we started to migrate to ADSL and then regrade later on.

This has been fixed. So if you sign up with us, there are no foreseeable issues. Feel free to sign up and then pop me a message. I'll gladly oversee the provision for you.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Jan-15 17:47:44
Print Post

[re: MattyPlusnet] [link to this post]

Good to see another rep on here, Have you requested an ISP tag, Matty?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User mike166
(newbie) Tue 06-Jan-15 16:25:49
Print Post

[re: MattyPlusnet] [link to this post]

Thank you RobertoS and Matty for your time and help.

You have cleared up any concerns I had and I am now confident about switching over to PlusNet.

I am going to buy a router with integrated an VDSL modem and once that arrives I will switch over using the website. I will send Matty a message with the order ref.

Iíll also update this thread on how everything goes so if anyone else decides to do something like I have then it could help as a reference.

Really looking forward to the switch now, donít think I can do another call to talktalk support!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to