General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrFied
(newbie) Sat 13-Dec-14 11:12:09
Print Post

Another Christmas comes and goes...

[link to this post]

Its two years now since my exchange was fibre-enabled. But despite being reasonably near the centre of my small town, there is still no sign of my cabinet being upgraded. When it was possible to contact Openreach by email, they told me all sorts of stuff including various dates, but so far nothing. Our BDUK project also doesn't seem interested since I'm not rural (and they seem to think my cabinet is part of the commercial rollout - despite the fact this seems to have ended). Oh well, maybe fibre will be my present for the end of next year?

Merry Christmas everyone!
frown
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 13-Dec-14 12:18:05
Print Post

Re: Another Christmas comes and goes...

[re: MrFied] [link to this post]

Care to give a postcode or exchange name?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User MrFied
(newbie) Sat 13-Dec-14 12:37:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Care to give a postcode or exchange name?

Hi BatBoy,
Its cabinet 42 on the Tewkesbury (SSTXY) exchange.
frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Dec-14 13:05:40
Print Post

The BDUK project is doing some work on that exchange, so they do know about it, but no sign of cabinet 42 being the lucky one.

Current target is 90% with access to fibre based, so you might be in the 10% that miss out, but a longer term goal of 24 Mbps or faster to all who want it by 2018 is part of the Herefordshire and Gloucestershire project.

Generally it is cabinets that cover more premises that are getting done, and if lots of those in other parts of the county you might be missed out, and some areas have seen concerted campaigns to do more of the rural areas first.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MrFied
(newbie) Sun 14-Dec-14 09:04:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info.
I think my cabinet might be quite small. I also realise that being reasonably close to the exchange means I get a pretty good ADSL speed. So I can understand why we've been passed by. Still rather frustrating though.
Happy Christmas.
Standard User HughA
(newbie) Sun 14-Dec-14 09:13:26
Print Post

It's probably down to BT considering it uneconomical to provide. Either the engineering costs are too high or the cabinet doesn't support enough customers to be able to make a profit! I doubt ADSL speed has anything to do with it, I'm in a similar position to you except for having only 3Mbps and BT say my cabinet is not economically viable, as do BDUK!
I share your frustration.
Standard User zom22
(member) Sun 14-Dec-14 09:32:57
Print Post

[re: HughA] [link to this post]

I'm in the same position.
In my case I think the reason is that the house population density near to the cabinet is quite small, while that further away is larger.
So if it was upgraded (serves around 200 houses) the number of people able to actually get a true superfast service due to their distance from the cab' would be rather lower than average.
So BDUK concentrate their resources on more favourable cabinets to upgrade.

There are no logistical problems to an upgrade as power is available from an electric pole nearby and best of all, fibre to other cabs which are being enabled actually runs past this cab en-route to them!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 14-Dec-14 09:37:27
Print Post

The openreach where and when site says that your cabinet is under review, so you can't order fibre http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User MrFied
(newbie) Sun 14-Dec-14 12:36:24
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
The openreach where and when site says that your cabinet is under review, so you can't order fibre http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

How did you find that? When I look I get the blue question mark that says :
Superfast Fibre is in your area but we canít tell by your postcode if you can get it right now.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 14-Dec-14 12:45:08
Print Post

I used a postcode that is served by the cabinet you said.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to