General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spikester84
(member) Mon 15-Dec-14 01:33:57
Print Post

BT infinity install problem, day 1

[link to this post]

Hi guys, first of all I want to thank all the great people of this forum who have been a great help in the past.

So my phone exchange, Lossiemouth, has been upgraded for fiber optic broadband recently, and my street could not get it as we were connected directly to the exchange, about 2 months ago a new cabinet was built and fro the different checkers on our postcode, IV31 6TA, we can get fiber and are connected to cabinet 8.

Recently I seen a good deal for infinity 1 + TV, with cash back through quidco, anyway I took the plunge and ordered it, problems then started! BT ended up calling and saying out order was cancelled and they had re ordered, I said no to this as I would lose cashback, BT customer services said they would cancel this for us so we could re order online. Re ordered, but same thing happened, but previous orders had never been cancelled, and I was not happy.

So out of the blue about 3 weeks ago we get a call from BT saying problem is sorted and we can now order infinity, so we see a cracking Black Friday deal and order, more problems begin, we had the engineer round on Friday to install the fiber, he came and put new faceplate on and got phone line working, but could not get the fiber broadband working because there is a problem with the routing and he could not find our line in the main box..... Whatever that mean?? So he leaves and said he would contact openreach and bt about this and they would be in touch, they never contacted us back so we phoned BT who said they would have this resolved in 48 hours, well I bet this won't get fixed! So we are stuck with no broadband at all now and I have no faith in BT getting back to us! Is this a common problem or is this serious and we have little chance of this getting fixed?

To add insult to injury, a lady from BT called me yesterday to say that a previous order, that I cancelled, was going ahead on the 23/12 but wanted me to call my broadband provider to cancel ! I was furious and told her that my broadband provider was BT! Customr advisor had no idea, but said she would call me back at 5pm.... This callback never happened so now I am completely stuck, waiting on BT to call back today, which I bet they don't!

I'm really upset that they said they would have us up and running on BT Infinity on Friday and now we have no idea what is going to happen frown not only that, but my partner needs broadband for homework from college. I know it has only been 2 days but I'm very concerned that BT are not going to sort this for us and just do nothing! Is there any light at the end of the tunnel for this guys?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Dec-14 08:43:29
Print Post

Re: BT infinity install problem, day 1

[re: Spikester84] [link to this post]

Was this a kelly/quinns engineer by any chance?

When things diverge from normal they tend to be not so good.

On the orders the BT system does cause confusion.

Key thing now is engineer to find line in cab and connect you. Keep polite but firm pressure on them. If nothing progressed by 2pm today let me know

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Mon 15-Dec-14 09:53:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's in the north of Scotland, so it was a company called 'Kelly Communications' that came to install stuff, but said they would report back to BT.

I am just very concerned that BT will not get back to us about this as every time in the past they have said they would call us back, they never do! But we need to get this resolved as soon as possible, more so for my partner sake with her college work, as we do live in the north of Scotland, a lot of her work is given online, I doubt this would make much different to BT, they already have our money, an since the actual phone is working , then they can still charge us line rental.

We hope we hear from BT today, but if not, then I will post back on here with an update.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Dec-14 10:39:50
Print Post

Phone them and stay on top, all too easy for a call centre to miss calling you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Mon 15-Dec-14 19:53:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok, a small update to this:

BT tried to phone us in the morning, but we missed the call. My partner called through to BT and could not get through for almost 20 mins! Anyway my partner eventually got through but had some trouble understanding the customer advisor, she asked to be put through to cancellations, and she got through to a friendly British advisor who said that they were sending someone on Wednesday to 'find the route or box' although I'm not sure what that means.

So originally on Friday BT advised us that they would get this resolved by Monday, now they are saying it will take a further 48 hours! Surely it cant take 5 days to get an engineer or someone to get this sorted.

I really have no faith at all that this will be resolved on Wednesday, I can see another excuse coming then. It's actually quite upsetting when you have to broadband and no information as to when this will actually be completely fixed.

I don't really know what to do now, I think all I can do is wait till another excuse on Wednesday frown

Edited by Spikester84 (Mon 15-Dec-14 19:55:44)

Standard User carrobesit
(learned) Tue 16-Dec-14 09:00:05
Print Post

Spike,

The problem in terms of "routing" or "finding the line" is that when the engineer goes to the cabinet, the cable pair that should be for your house turns out not to be which means they've then got to check other pairs to determine which is actually your cable pair. Until they have found the right one, they can't hook you up.

I had an install the other week in Elgin where the engineer said the routing in that particular cabinet had been a nightmare, but thankfully he's been in there enough times now that he knows what's going on, so sometimes being the frontrunner on a cabinet (especially one dropped in for EO lines) can be a bad thing.

I've also had previous with the Lossie exchange where a customer moved into new premises and it took two weeks to get their broadband up and running because someone had plugged their line into the wrong port at the exchange - took a second engineer to actually figure it out.

As MrSaffron states, be patient and keep putting firm but polite pressure on them. It will get sorted and you'll enjoy the good speeds but it will just take a bit longer.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 16-Dec-14 09:10:35
Print Post

This time you should get a real BT Technician.

He will clip a small oscillator device on your line which "warbles" and sends this tone down the line. He will then go to the cabinet and try to locate the tone - if he cannot then he will start at the pole and trace it thee, then any underground junctions and so on al the way to the cabinet. A fairly easy task.

As for waiting 3 days hours, yes, they need to be scheduled depending on time slots available with certain customers taking priority because they pay for a "next day" repair service.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(member) Tue 16-Dec-14 22:42:52
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Another little update:

First off I would like to thank all you guys for your help and advisesmile

Anyway, BT advised they would phone us today at about 5:30pm, guess what, no phone call at all! Anyway my partner ended up getting a text to advise that they are going to phone us by 8pm on the 18th. They originally said they would have this resolved by Wednesday, now from the text we will only be getting a phone call on Thursday. The problem now is that both my partner and I work everyday till after 5pm and the only day she will have off before Christmas Day is this Friday, and only day I have off is this Monday, so if BT do actually pull there finger out(which I doubt they will) then it looks like we will be waiting till after new year.

Sorry for the rant about this guys, but it's very frustrating, especially when you are told someone will call, then no one ever does, and me and my partner do not have the time right now to be waiting up to 20 mins to get through to someone who doesn't seem able to help anyway.
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Tue 16-Dec-14 23:10:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:

He will clip a small oscillator device on your line which "warbles" and sends this tone down the line. He will then go to the cabinet and try to locate the tone - if he cannot then he will start at the pole and trace it thee, then any underground junctions and so on al the way to the cabinet. A fairly easy task.

Don't Kelly or Quinns contractors have that kit and are trained to use it?!?!

If not that's shocking and they should be on or near any line plant int he first place. So many problems from 3rd party contractors & poorly trained engineers of late.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 17-Dec-14 08:35:48
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IamQ:

If not that's shocking and they should be on or near any line plant int he first place. So many problems from 3rd party contractors & poorly trained engineers of late.

Don't know whether they have it or not. They are only, as far as I know, trained to install a master or faceplate, re-jumper the cabinet and then power up the modem!

M H C

(member) Wed 17-Dec-14 12:37:21
Print Post

I am going to phone BT after my work today, about 6ish to find out if they are doing anything about this, think If nothing is getting sorted I'm going to have to see about cancelling this order. I will be polite but firm, although I would imagine they will want to call us back, and as I've said, they have told us on 4 seperate occasions that they would call us back, and they never have.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 17-Dec-14 12:47:02
Print Post

Can you not call them NOW?

At least there might be time for some action today whereas leaving until 6:00 means you lose another day.

M H C

(member) Wed 17-Dec-14 17:23:52
Print Post

I was on a half hour lunch break so no time to call them. Got home a bit earlier so trying them now, be waiting a while since it is not long after 5pm.

Hopefully I can get some more clarity on what is happening, also hopefully I can get through to a British advisor.
(member) Wed 17-Dec-14 23:28:21
Print Post

So I managed to get through to a nice Indian gentleman from BT who said he had to speak to someone at BT wholesale. Anyway he said he would call me back as he was waiting on to get through to them....... And guess what... He actually phoned me back about 10mins later to tell me that BT wholesale told him they had fixed the problem and they would arrange to come to out property to get our broadband going, but that he was going to have to escalate this as BT wholesale weren't planning on coming to our property for quite a long time. He said that he would have to escalate this with his manager and he would be phoning me back tomorrow. I advised him that my partner was off on Friday and could we organise this for then, but he said he couldn't because he would not get a reply for 24 hours, which means after 5pm tomorrow, and BT wholesale do not work past 5pm, which would mean it would be a further 24hours before they could get someone out to me, and since they don't work weekends, the earliest they will get out to me is this Monday!

Anyway to cut a long story short I really can't see this getting fixed on Monday, I was amazed when he said that wholesale had told him they had sorted the problem, because the problem was finding my line and I can't see them managin to do this without access to our house to check the line!

Really stuck for what to do now, can't believe that everything they do takes 24 hours before you can even get a response to something!
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Dec-14 01:57:19
Print Post

I've had a similar problem - in my case because the routing records have our line connected to a different cabinet than the real physical connection. We can't get fibre until this record is updated.

Getting the phone line working has taken over a month. Getting fibre has proven tricky... an order went in once the phone line worked (5 appointments, where three were no-shows), and once the third engineer had been around to check the physical connections. This order got expedited, and was initially set for "only" a week later... but that appointment got cancelled next day, and shifted a further 2 weeks away because of resourcing problems.

In the end, the ISP put a temporary order in for plain ADSL, and expedited it ... which then happened the next working day.

The DSL checkers still say we are connected to the wrong cabinet, so I'm not expecting an upgrade to fibre to actually happen quickly!

But I can back up your Indian gent: the process of making changes to the orders in the BTW/BTO systems is antiquated and slow, and there is no guarantee that an expedite will do what you hope.
(member) Thu 18-Dec-14 13:37:26
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Think I might have to bite the bullet and cancel this completely and order sky adsl 2 and go back to that.

Going to be annoying getting BT to reimburse us for all this trouble and they would have to come and pick up router and youview box also.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 18-Dec-14 14:15:49
Print Post

Contact between parts of BT can be real pain at times and take a lot longer. One reason is that OFCOM and their predecessors OFTEL forced BT to put in Chinese walls or points of demarcation. That effectively stopped the person answering your call being able to speak directly to someone who could fix it and now it has to be done be emails - and not always directly, or through a nominated point of contact. It can actually be that there are 3, 4 or 5 extra people in the communications path.

M H C

(member) Thu 18-Dec-14 17:41:13
Print Post

My partner called BT today to see if there was an update..... They told her they would get this sorted on the 9th of January! Is this acceptable?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Dec-14 18:01:36
Print Post

That is your call.

Ask two solicitors and you would get two different answers. Unlikely that telling them to stuff it and going elsewhere would get you connected and running any sooner now.

To be honest the best advice is lodge your dislike for the performance and highlight that you expect compensation once everything is running and in the meantime if you need an alternate connection such as a mobile dongle, or incur extra charges on mobile dongle make it clear you want those re-imbursing.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 18-Dec-14 18:03:39
Print Post

NO.

Try the online form at: https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950

You have been patient, been given dates which they are now failing to meet and listened to advice here about why it cannot be done in a couple of hours. Now is the time to escalate it.

M H C

(member) Thu 18-Dec-14 18:26:12
Print Post

Do BT_care still post here? Years ago when I was with them they were quite helpful.

I will email BT about this anyway, but if we do wait till the 9th of Jan then that would be 29 days with no broadband or tv!

I've got some contact numbers for Openreach from a friend of mine at the local council, wonder if it sip be worthwhile calling these people also?
Standard User george1976
(newbie) Thu 18-Dec-14 19:44:02
Print Post

You said in your first post that the engineer got your phone line sorted. If that is correct and you have dial tone and line quality it's OK then no troubleshooting is needed. The engineer only needs to sort out the correct fibre ports at the cab and push it through.
I wouldn't go back to adsl tbh, even with these problems.
(member) Thu 18-Dec-14 21:54:00
Print Post

[re: george1976] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by george1976:
You said in your first post that the engineer got your phone line sorted. If that is correct and you have dial tone and line quality it's OK then no troubleshooting is needed. The engineer only needs to sort out the correct fibre ports at the cab and push it through.
I wouldn't go back to adsl tbh, even with these problems.

Why would BT want to wait till the 9th of January to get this fixed then?

I know it will be extra hassle, but I really have to confidence that they would even get this sorted on the 9th!
(member) Sat 20-Dec-14 12:55:49
Print Post

I have emailed BT with the details from this thread. Are they normally quick to get back to you? I put it in on Thursday night, so hopefully we can get a reply before Xmas.
(member) Fri 09-Jan-15 18:37:47
Print Post

Ok guys, got another update to this.

So me and my partner emailed BT regarding this on going issue, and they replied last month to advise that the problem has been resolved and that an engineer would be out on the 9th of January(29 days without Internet) and that that was the soonest they could get to us, to cut a long story short, my grandmother has been very ill and we did not want a lot of hassle so agreed we would wait for this.....

Well today was the day and after waiting in for a few hours, my partner called BT to ask when the engineer would be, and they tell us that the visit was cancelled as there was a problem with the system! I cannot believe it! We have waiting 29 days and been told on numerous occasions that someone would definately be on the 9th of Jan and now they just tell us it's cancelled! Not only that, we now have to wait till Monday to even find out when they are going to get to us!

This is un-acceptable. Does anyone have any advice for us, as we really don't know what to do now?

Edited by Spikester84 (Fri 09-Jan-15 18:39:23)

Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Jan-15 19:52:17
Print Post

Have you tried the executive complaints team? Email the CEO of BT and explain the circumstances. Be polite but firm, they'll be much more helpful.

Only way I got my order sorted.
(member) Fri 09-Jan-15 22:04:50
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mr_mojo:
Have you tried the executive complaints team? Email the CEO of BT and explain the circumstances. Be polite but firm, they'll be much more helpful.

Only way I got my order sorted.

What email address was that?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 09-Jan-15 22:19:38
Print Post

gavin.e.patterson@bt.com

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User johnb2008
(regular) Fri 09-Jan-15 22:52:31
Print Post

Sounds very similar to my experience when I ordered Infinity 2 in Feb 2013. Website wouldn't accept my MAC; took full morning on phone to place order. It was a nightmare trying to sort out the order. Then they failed to arrive on the promised day (twice). When I phoned them the indian call centre said it was showing on the system as having been installed! On the first bill I found they had charged, incorrectly, a £30 cease fee, which I got refunded eventually.

I was on point of cancelling, but eventually the mods on the BT Care Community website sorted it for me. They were very helpful. Once they were involved everything happened as they promised. I was with O2 before but needed to get away from them as they were on the way to sky & I didn't want to go there so I had to swap provider to somewhere.

Once I got Infinity installed it was fine, I'm very pleased with it; it's just the ordering system & the telephone support that is a shambles.
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Sat 10-Jan-15 07:53:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by IamQ:

If not that's shocking and they should be on or near any line plant int he first place.

Indeed. That's the basic, easy, quick solution to finding the correct pair, and takes no time at all, compared with any other solutions - I can't think of a more appropriate word than "shocking". Excluding the VDSL faceplate installation (which doesn't really alter anything at all if they know how to do it, which of course they should, with their eyes closed), all that should need to happen on a line without a fault is that an engineer comes round, puts an oscillator in your socket, leaves for 10 mins to go to the PCP, then comes back, removes the oscillator and reconnects your kit, and finally asks if your internet is what you'd hoped for.

I'd probably lose my temper but of course follow Mr. Saffron's advice, let's not give anyone the slightest excuse to blame you for anything.

After your FTTC connection has been working as it should for a few weeks, you could always phone BT and complain very strongly about Kelly Communications, as well as any of the compensation-related things Mr. Saffron has mentioned which will be far more important to you personally.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Sat 10-Jan-15 08:01:43)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to