General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rain0070
(newbie) Mon 15-Dec-14 11:38:10
Print Post

changing provider

[link to this post]

Hi all been doing some research into changing fibre and phone in january
currently with bt getting about 50mb most of the time .When i put my phone number and postcode into other providers they say i can only get up to 38mb
anyone have any comments ideas etc
cheers Martin
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 15-Dec-14 13:40:58
Print Post

Re: changing provider

[re: rain0070] [link to this post]

What does this checker say? Both the A/Clean and B/Impacted lines please.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User rain0070
(newbie) Mon 15-Dec-14 13:52:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

fttc a 55.8 38.1 14.5 8.9
b 47.5 27.4 14.5 6.9
thanks for looking

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Dec-14 13:54:48
Print Post

To get the 50 Mbps you are on Infinity 2 an up to 76 Mbps service.

For many other providers, to avoid the moans that speeds are not what were promised they may be filtering based on the lower 27.4 Mbps figure from the checker.

Remember the cheapest products will only give up to 38 Mbps, to get the extra 12 Mbps like now you need to sign up to the faster and more expensive option.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 15-Dec-14 14:31:14
Print Post

As MrSaffron says.

You say the ISPs you have checked. I think both Sky and TalkTalk will do as he says and are offering only the "up to 38Mbps" product because of the 38.1 in the Clean estimate, though both do have the 76Mbps one available. As a side issue I think the TalkTalk one is only 2Mbps upstream rather than the normal 10Mbps.

Have you looked at Plusnet or any other ISP? Plusnet may do the same, (38/20 in fact), but can easily be persuaded to give you the 76/20.

With any ISP your line can connect at the same speed as now as long as you are on the right product.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User rain0070
(newbie) Mon 15-Dec-14 20:53:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

its good to know that i will get about the same speed when i change ,i thought i would but had to be sure thanks
  Print Thread

Jump to