General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Dec-14 11:30:42
Print Post

Getting Line Data Reset

[link to this post]

I've been lucky enough to have FTTC for two years now and what started off at 80/20 has slowly slowed down to 65/20. Every time I have a power cut (and there have been a few) 1mb or 2mb is dropped from the speed and it never seems to increase again.

Is it possible to have it reset? Zen seem to think not.

The stats on the line are quite good, details here: http://www.sadandlonely.com/fttc.jpg
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Dec-14 11:34:21
Print Post

Re: Getting Line Data Reset

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

Without a clear fault condition Openreach are not interested, too busy trying to get more lines rolled out.

The banding looks reasonable, maybe it is also increased cross talk kicking in over time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Dec-14 11:46:08
Print Post

If you look at the attainable speed, that's what the modem thinks it can synch at.

SNRM at 6db is about right, could maybe hack the box to try and force 3db, but probably not worth it.

Sounds like crosstalk to me. Hopefully BT will rollout vectoring in the future to combat this. (And you'll see G.Vector On)

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Dec-14 11:47:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by boxst:
Is it possible to have it reset? Zen seem to think not.

I think the idea is that, eventually, ISPs will be able to do (or request) this. But at the moment, Zen is correct. It can only be reset by an Openreach engineer visiting your premises as the result of a fault report passed on by your ISP and requesting a reset.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Wed 17-Dec-14 11:47:32)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Dec-14 02:05:28
Print Post

The others are right - the line cannot be reset, except on request by an engineer who actually fixes a physical fault - and even then, it doesn't always happen.

By a "line reset", we tend to mean that the DLM profiles will be reset. If this happened to a line without any physical change, DLM is likely to re-intervene within 2 days anyway. There isn't much point.

And in your case, there is no point at all: DLM looks to have intervened at some point in the past (because your line has a downstream band of 40-80Mbps applied; lines that have never had a DLM intervention will be banded at 0.128-80 instead). But we can certainly say that DLM has no intervention in place currently.

A reset would not change your speed.
Standard User Ixel
(member) Sat 20-Dec-14 18:34:58
Print Post

Just to add some info here, if DLM happens to intervene again in the future then you may find the minimum sync rate change. Since their (BT's FTTC DLM) supposed changes to conform with the ASSIA patent court case issues, my minimum sync rate has changed to 128Kbps instead of roughly half the maximum rate on both downstream and upstream.

DS bearer channel 0 configuration
Min_net_data_rate = 128 kbit/s
Max_net_data_rate = 49000 kbit/s
Rederved_net_data_rate = 0 kbit/s
Max_interleaving_delay = 4 ms
INP_min = 0 symbols
Dynamic interleaver reconfig(amd1) = N
INP no erasure = N
Pre-emption = N
Short packet = N
CIpolicy(amd1) = Mandatory

US bearer channel 0 configuration
Min_net_data_rate = 128 kbit/s
Max_net_data_rate = 20000 kbit/s
Rederved_net_data_rate = 0 kbit/s
Max_interleaving_delay = 8 ms
INP_min = 3 symbols
Dynamic interleaver reconfig(amd1) = N
INP no erasure = N
Pre-emption = N
Short packet = N
CIpolicy(amd1) = Mandatory

Note: Incase anyone wonders why my downstream delay is 4ms, that's because I can apparently override the downstream parameters (such as min/max sync rate, INP and delay) on the ASUS device.
  Print Thread

Jump to