General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User schander
(learned) Fri 19-Dec-14 10:27:12
Print Post

OpenReach Where-and-When & dslchecker accuracy

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Some background:
OpenReach have been promising us Superfast for the last 3 years with the date slipping every time.
Up until recently OpenReach have said that they will upgrade to FTTC by end of the year, even erecting a FTTC cabinet across the road 40yards from the grey TPON cabinet. This would be part of the ongoing OpenReach roll out

OpenReach recently had another look at the cabinet I'm served by and said that it is no longer viable for them to provide FTTC as they have 'just' realised that there are still active TPON connections and the the new cabinet was a mistake. Now this has to be done as part of BDUK. This information came via Bedford Councils BDUK contact.

I checked the OpenReach where and when site, with full address and phone number, and it says that my cabinet is enabled and accepting orders. However the dslchecker says: The cabinet is under review.
Which one of these is most likely to be accurate?

I contacted my ISP, they said that my postcode is served by 2 cabinets and the dslchecker says it's cabinet 49T. So now I have a doubt in my mind as to whether I'm actually connected the TPON cabinet or the other cabinet, given that they only just realised that it still had active TPON connections. Is possible there is a copper overlay in the cabinet? Or that I'm connected to the other FTTC enable cabinet?

Sorry it's a little long.
Satpal
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Dec-14 10:56:20
Print Post

Re: OpenReach Where-and-When & dslchecker accuracy

[re: schander] [link to this post]

If you have ADSL then you MUST be on the copper overlay, but if people still on the old TPON is does complicate things.

The dslchecker which is what the providers use is generally taken as the gospel. The openreach checker is a bit fluid with bulk changes happening as they get used to trying to run a public facing checker.

The original cabinet was probably a planner in BT not knowing what the T meant and getting a cabinet stood early by mistake. Knowledge of TPON is pretty rare within BT.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User schander
(regular) Fri 19-Dec-14 14:55:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your quick response.
I suppose it just a waiting game now. If it is only BDUK then it's going to be at least 2016 before anything happens.

It also confuses me that the goto network checker for ISP's is run by BT and not OpenReach. Given BT & OpenReach are technically separate companies.

Cheers
Satpal
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If you have ADSL then you MUST be on the copper overlay, but if people still on the old TPON is does complicate things.

The dslchecker which is what the providers use is generally taken as the gospel. The openreach checker is a bit fluid with bulk changes happening as they get used to trying to run a public facing checker.

The original cabinet was probably a planner in BT not knowing what the T meant and getting a cabinet stood early by mistake. Knowledge of TPON is pretty rare within BT.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Dec-14 18:21:58
Print Post

Which option are you using in the (BT Wholesale?) DSL checker, as your post is all about Postcodes? The Postcode option is notoriously unreliable when a postcode has more than one cabinet suppyling it, which is very common.

The phone number option is best. If you have an LLU phone line that option doesn't work, so then you should use the address option smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User schander
(regular) Sun 21-Dec-14 21:09:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Which option are you using in the (BT Wholesale?) DSL checker, as your post is all about Postcodes? The Postcode option is notoriously unreliable when a postcode has more than one cabinet suppyling it, which is very common.

I used the postcode and telephone number on both the OpenReach site and on the dslchecker. Both gave consistant results in that they both, respectively said the same thing for phone and postcode.
Standard User edagius
(newbie) Mon 22-Dec-14 13:25:39
Print Post

i'm in the same situation by the sound of it (pmd you)

I cant believe how they seem to be able to work in this way that they would spend the money adding something that cant be used. and also not care about slices of the population that are ignored and left out of the fibre upgrades, even when they are not out of town!

ed
Standard User schander
(regular) Thu 22-Jan-15 15:07:16
Print Post

Just to follow up here. There was Kelly Communications van parked outside the Green cabinet, as opposed to the grey one. When I went to ask the engineer if he was enabling it, he replied it working and that he was just adding the backup batteries.

However no-one can confirm this, including OpenReach, who is saying that I'm connected to cabinet 49t and FTTC will no be available from cabinet 49( which is the cabinet number as the engineer showed me his worksheet.)

I wonder if it still needs commissioning?Any one know how long that might take?

Satpal
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Jan-15 15:28:27
Print Post

If adding the batteries then its not live, ie. it can be working on the mains but to have gone live they would have already wanted the batteries installed and I believed they were shipped pre-installed too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User schander
(regular) Fri 23-Jan-15 11:05:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If adding the batteries then its not live, ie. it can be working on the mains but to have gone live they would have already wanted the batteries installed and I believed they were shipped pre-installed too.

Thanks for the response and clarification. Infact it could turn out that the entire cabinet is a mistake and cannot be used to supply FTTC to the estate. Not sure I can think of companies where a 'mistake' like this could happen over the space of 20 months.

Thanks
Satpal
Standard User schander
(regular) Tue 27-Jan-15 08:56:14
Print Post

Infact it has turned out that the cabinet is mistake and OpenReach won't be using it at all. This is what councils BDUK contact said.

On the upside it's likely that we'll be getting FTTP, if funding is available via BDUK, this is what they have done for next cabinet along, under BDUK. The council is current setting up the next round of funding for this. It'll be 2016/7 before we get it though frown
  Print Thread

Jump to