General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Dec-14 04:43:45
Print Post

SuperVector

[link to this post]

Every few weeks I like to see if there has been an update on BT's vectoring trials. As there has been no official update that I'm aware of in the last couple of months.. I found a few articles discussing Huawei's approach to vectoring which they've dubbed "SuperVector". Reportedly it does noise cancelling across a wider frequency range which results in significant gains over current vectoring solutions

The numbers I've seen from lab tests suggest 400Mbit/s over 100 meters and 100Mbit/s over 800 meters is achievable.

Naturally not on the same level as G.fast or full fibre solutions, but I have doubts on most people having access to these technologies in the near future.. It could be a nice compromise..

The problem I see is if this is true, BT will want to do more trials.. Which could see us waiting a few more years before they decide to act.

Edited by LeJimster (Mon 22-Dec-14 05:08:47)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Dec-14 06:05:23
Print Post

Re: SuperVector

[re: LeJimster] [link to this post]

The emphasis is on coverage rather than raw speed for now, so any new services I suspect are taking second place to ensuring contract obligations from the many contracts is the key.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Dec-14 07:29:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by LeJimster:
The numbers I've seen from lab tests suggest 400Mbit/s over 100 meters and 100Mbit/s over 800 meters is achievable.

Doesn't the Huawei press release say "400Mbps over 300 meters"? Is it going to become a global telecommunication standard?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 22-Dec-14 11:51:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The emphasis is on coverage rather than raw speed for now, so any new services I suspect are taking second place to ensuring contract obligations from the many contracts is the key.

So BDUK contracts are holding us back?

BT cant do 2 rollouts at once?

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Dec-14 12:01:55
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

BT have had some struggles getting the resources needed to do the main rollout so adding in another rollout at the same time is likely to be difficult.
Standard User RossMcG
(member) Mon 22-Dec-14 12:14:06
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

So BDUK contracts are holding us back?

BT cant do 2 rollouts at once?

BT should be doing 0 until they reach 100% superfast coverage
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Dec-14 12:33:40
Print Post

[re: RossMcG] [link to this post]

And if that was the case they wouldn't have bid for the contracts either. Only way that could ever work is if it became a USO for superfast broadband and the government have no appetite to do that.
Standard User RossMcG
(member) Mon 22-Dec-14 13:11:51
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
And if that was the case they wouldn't have bid for the contracts either. Only way that could ever work is if it became a USO for superfast broadband and the government have no appetite to do that.

That could change next election. I doubt it though.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Dec-14 13:18:56
Print Post

There seems to be some competition for an enhanced VDSL2 specification.

I recently saw that Alcatel-Lucent published some figures, where they applied some new vectoring to an amended 30a VDSL2 setup. They called it "Vplus", getting aggregate 200Mbps from 400m, or aggregate 300Mbps from 300m.

The gist there was that the existing 30a standard does not work well alongside the 17a standard, because the current 30a standard changes the width of each tone (from 4.1kHz to 8.2kHz); this change makes it hard for vectoring to work in a mixed environment - which you will surely have when deploying with an existing user base of 17a modems.

In light of Huawei's "SuperVector", this reads like a battle to get their specification chosen by the standards committee.

I suspect one (or a mix) will only get turned into a full ITU specification if the market sees this kind of performance as a useful step on the way towards G.fast (eg by reducing the number of FTTdp nodes needed).
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Dec-14 13:23:05
Print Post

[re: RossMcG] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RossMcG:
BT should be doing 0 until they reach 100% superfast coverage

You need to be careful with what you say BT must achieve, rather than "the industry".

Even now, with BT deploying to a 90% superfast target, it still won't be 90% that are reached by BT equipment... VM's network qualifies towards the target, and there is a fair percentage where BT's NGA equipment won't overlap.

As we go deeper, the 100% target will be met with more players involved.
  Print Thread

Jump to