General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AgentWalker
(experienced) Mon 22-Dec-14 11:34:53
Print Post

Any plans to increase speed

[link to this post]

When I was on the digital region network they updated the profiles to allow speeds of around 90meg+ , are there any plans to do this on the BT network?

The only issue I can see is that digital region had to replace some line cards at the CAB as the current ones only supported 70-80meg.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Dec-14 12:17:35
Print Post

Re: Any plans to increase speed

[re: AgentWalker] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AgentWalker:
The only issue I can see is that digital region had to replace some line cards at the CAB as the current ones only supported 70-80meg.
The 'only' problem? Id' say that if it applied to BT's network it'd be a pretty major, if not devastating issue.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Dec-14 13:46:22
Print Post

It would seem likely that BT would want their FTTC network to be able to hit the EU Digital Agenda targets for 2020; the obvious change necessary would be packages for 100Mbps.

They could probably choose to do that now, but not many people would be able to get those speeds - the main restriction now coming from crosstalk, caused by high takeup.

It would seem likely that higher speed packages will only come about when those problem are countered - by the use of vectoring. That too seems likely to require new hardware, so might also be limited.

Vectoring alone might not be enough either; DLM might need to make use of alternatives to FEC & interleaving, such as G.INP and SRA. Tools such as these might counter the 10% reduction in speed triggered by today's DLM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User roughbeast
(member) Mon 22-Dec-14 17:58:14
Print Post

If you are feeling reasonably flush then FTTP is your best chance of higher speeds with BT.

Virgin Media: 152mb/12Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box. Superhub2 in modem-only mode. Using RT-N66U router.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Dec-14 18:12:31
Print Post

Requires profile 30 which makes vectoring and or g.fast harder so no.

Faster options might appear via vectoring

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 22-Dec-14 22:02:44
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

that may be part of the reason to ditch the supplied modems, as I would guess many of the 3rd party devices are gigabit capable, the billion 8800nl i am using now I consider a budget device but it still has a gigabit ethernet port. It has a good stable broadcom DSL chipset as well.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Dec-14 09:05:57
Print Post

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

If you're talking FTTPoD then it isn't available everywhere (in fact I think the footprint is still quite small at the moment). Plus FTTPoD is pretty much business only and carries a 36 month contract tie in and the only option is the top 330Mb/s package.

FTTP itself isn't available where FTTC is delivered.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Dec-14 11:13:23
Print Post

They could increase the headline speed to 100Mb though I don't think they'd be able to achieve the 10% of people connecting at 100Mb without spending some money on vectoring.

Certainly there's nothing stopping them doing it though, the line cards in BT's current kit are the same standard as those Digital Region were using.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Dec-14 20:01:24
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

no chance. 80/20 is to stay with us for the next 3 years until 2018 then BT only uplift to 100Mb from 80Mb.

BT is far behind than rest of superfast fibre!
Standard User Fastman2
(member) Wed 24-Dec-14 20:24:52
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

adsl max -- think you might not be correct there --
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to