General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User yioob
(newbie) Mon 22-Dec-14 19:04:26
Print Post

fritz 7490 on sky fiber

[link to this post]

Hi im new here but have been on the skyuser site for a wile but basicly i was hoping that some one might know more about the fritz box 7490 but any of the new range would still help i have tryed telnet to the unit but am unable to locate or work out what dhcp client they use for wan connections as with sky you need to send a dhcp request with option 60,61 with the sky password and user login inclosed to get a valid ip over pppoe from there dhcp server.
Most routers i have used use dchpcd and can then be modified to use sky but the fritz dose not respond to these, i have tryed commands for dhcpcd, pump, dhclient all with no luck frown i did not know if the fritz config file can be edited to include these, as it has dhcp client id in there but not sure how that file works.
i am going to try and add a link to txt output from telnet
Standard User yioob
(newbie) Mon 22-Dec-14 19:10:08
Print Post

Re: fritz 7490 on sky fiber

[re: yioob] [link to this post]

frits telnet rip wile changing setting for dsl
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Dec-14 22:16:23
Print Post

I confess I know nothing about Sky as a broadband provider, however have you set the VLAN to 101?

This is all I know that is needed for BT fibre services with the Fritzbox.

As I say, can't speak for Sky, especially if it's their LLU kit.

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yioob
(newbie) Tue 23-Dec-14 00:25:30
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Hi thanks for the reply
yes the vlan is still 101 but sky have/use a system on there fiber they call mer but is actually just a request to there dhcp server with option 60 and 61. 61 is the main one Client-identifier witch is basicly "skyuser@sky.dsl|password" and thats it, it is just a pppoe connection after that no password or user required but there dhcp will not allocate an ip address unless it recives dhcp request including the option 61 with skys user and password some sky users also include option 60 witch is basicly "sky sr102 v6.6.6.6" just in case they check it at a later date and see "my much better router" and that the mac is cloned from the sky hub

Most routers that sky users swap with are tomarto flash able and the script is put in the additional setting area, but asus have started putting a sky compatible profile in that takes the user and password as if it was pppoa but they send it as above, i would have loved those boxes but the wireless ac and the pbx side of the fritz box sold me i looked at cheep pbx but that and an ac router would have cost the same if mor.
i have 6months of sky fiber left but want to get rid of the double nat and slow ping of having two boxes running eg sky as gateway then fritz pluged in as cable router using one of its gigabit ports up frown but looking to move to a less anal provider then.
just that sky are charging peanuts for there fiber to me and ee have stoped doing £10 off for existing customers witch would have worked out only £2 more expensive than sky charge me only talk talk(no thanks) and plusnet getting any were close on costs for 40mb unlimited service frown my adsl is only 2mb so got to be fiber frown
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Dec-14 08:04:07
Print Post

Wow, am I glad I'm not with Sky! smile

The only information I could find that could be of any help is here:
http://misterjaytee.com/2009/09/16/fritzbox-and-sky-...

It involves spoofing the MAC, and forcing PPPoA. Whether this somehow bypasses the extra DHCP options I don't know, but as you seems to already have the FritzBox, it can't hurt to try it.

Best advice though, run for the hills! If cost is an issue, the personally I'd go to PlusNet.

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User yioob
(newbie) Wed 24-Dec-14 00:19:10
Print Post

Thanks for the reply i wish skys fiber service was as easy as there adsl service as i heard that most broadband customers adsl has been able to use pppoa for some time now witch us great as you calculate or wire shark your username and password and away you go but unfortunately fiber/vdsl dose not use pppoe paswords or users login frown

I dono if any one knows the config file well but im not sure if i can edit this part in some way?

dhcp_auth_mode = auth_none;
dhcp_requests_with_client_id = yes;
dhcp_ignore_options_in_renewing = no;
is_erouter = no;
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Dec-14 11:14:14
Print Post

The obvious thing to try, to my mind, is to email AVM and ask them for a way to do it.

The key may well be in the dhcp_auth_mode setting, if this is even implemented in the code, rather than an unused option.

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User yioob
(newbie) Wed 24-Dec-14 20:35:28
Print Post

Thanks for the reply Unfortunately avm did not want too help "as sky can change these settings at any time" but have had the same settings for a good fuw years now frown
witch is great that asus now have a sky profile on the latest stock firmware so really there just draging there heels frown
the best i got was that you can change the firmware to do that but we carnt tell you how frown
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Dec-14 23:45:04
Print Post

That doesn't sound like the AVM I've heard about frown

Maybe point them to this thread. I won't be buying another if that's their attitude.

Merry Christmas!

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Thu 25-Dec-14 19:10:09
Print Post

Various members of the Skyuser forum have approached AVM regarding Sky compatibility with Fritzbox routers and got pretty much the same response.

It took Billion several months to reverse engineer Sky's variant of 1483MER and develop firmware for their 7800 and 8200 series routers that worked with Sky fibre and now all their new routers work with Sky out of the box.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to