General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FibreBbUser
(newbie) Tue 23-Dec-14 17:56:03
Print Post

Have FTTP from BT , Can I get Fibre from other CPs (FTTC)?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I currently have FTTP (BT infinity) at my property but other Service Providers doesn't provide FTTP but they provide FTTC.

I was checking for switching from BT to other Service Provider for Fibre broadband using FTTC.

So checked on the BT Openreach Fibre Availability checker and it suggests that my exchange and Cabinet is "Accepting Orders" but when checking with providers such as Sky, EE, Plusnet and TalkTalk , it suggest "Fibre is not available"

Can you pl. help why this is the case, BTOR is saying Fibre is available but CP's are suggesting no fibre?
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Tue 23-Dec-14 18:03:50
Print Post

Re: Have FTTP from BT , Can I get Fibre from other CPs (FTTC

[re: FibreBbUser] [link to this post]

there are other providers of FTTP

try zen

http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband/fibre-optic-...

or AAISP

theres a few others

and its because your while your cab may be fttc your line is FTTP not FTTC that's why you can't get FTTC.

not sure if I explained that right.

SKY FTTC - 40/10
My Ping
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Dec-14 18:11:37
Print Post

When open reach decide to upgrade a cabinet they choose to make either FTTP or FTTC available. As you have FTTP available you will not be able to get an FTTC service
As Sky, EE and TalkTalk have decided not to sell FTTP services, their checkers do not show availability in FTTP areas. I have read elsewhere that plusnet are trialling FTTP again.

Edited by Ribble (Tue 23-Dec-14 18:27:37)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 23-Dec-14 19:12:14
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

But When I go on BT OR site and check for Fibre Availability checker it was (2 weeks back) showing a message "Under Review" against my Exchange and Cabinet, however now it is showing as "Accepting Orders" and you can contact the Service Provider for the same.

Also, my Cabinet/exchange shown in BT OR list as FTTP/C, so it can support both..
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Dec-14 19:27:38
Print Post

The exchange can support both but the cabinet area dosnt.
The openreach site seems be in a state of flux at the moment giving some odd feedbacl.
Given the cost and difficulty openreach have in providing either FTTC or FTTP, they have no desire to provide both, unless of course someone wants to hand the a considerable sum of money.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Dec-14 21:12:11
Print Post

Why do you want FTTC when you already have access to FTTP?

I'm perfectly happy with FTTC, but I do wonder what the thing is that is motivating you to want to switch.

The bad news is that everyone else is right. BT (ie Openreach within BT) only deploy one type of technology within each cabinet area - either FTTP or FTTC but not both. If an exchange was listed as "FTTC/P" it meant that some cabinets would get FTTC, while others would get FTTP (and usually delayed considerably compared to the FTTC deployment), but never both.

On the plus side, you can order from a choice of speeds - including the slower, cheaper, ones available to FTTC customers - and know that there is no "up to" language needed for the distance from the cabinet.

On the minus side - you get a much more limited choice of ISPs who are willing to deal with you.
(newbie) Wed 24-Dec-14 00:33:22
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

With FTTC, I'll be getting a very good deal hence I was looking to switch from FTTP to FTTC....
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 24-Dec-14 00:47:31
Print Post

As has been said, very few ISPs are offering FTTP. You cannot get FTTC, end of, I'm afraid frown.

Mind you, I'm sure several people on these forums would be happy to negotiate a house swap wink.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Wed 24-Dec-14 08:38:00
Print Post

You cannot get FTTC....but you can order(downgrade) infinity 1 or 2 with BT.

Ian
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Dec-14 03:40:04
Print Post

OK.

Did the "very good deal" require an ISP that wasn't BT's retail arm? If so, then I understand your problem - and it is the same one being requested by people who have no access to any form of superfast broadband - they would much rather have an FTTC service from BTO to retain that choice of ISP, than a 1Gbps service from Gigaclear with no choice.

As someone else pointed out, you do at least have the ability to pick the Infinity 1 or Infinity 2 packages from BT Retail over your FTTP connection at the same price available to FTTC subscribers.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to