General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mmackenzie
(newbie) Sat 27-Dec-14 18:44:35
Print Post

openreach installing fibre cable?

[link to this post]

Hi folks
First post here so be gentle....wink

I noticed recently that an openreach van spent a couple of days at my cabinet - and I thought my luck was in and I would be fibre enabled pretty soon. But a good few weeks have passed and nothing has changed. No new cabinet has appeared and I am beginning to wonder now if they were just connecting some new customers and not dragging fibres along to it. I live in new estate so I suppose its pretty possible they were hooking up new users. I'm worried that we will be skipped for now as far as FTTC is concerned as iit wont be commercially viable to hook us up. About 80 houses in the estate but more on the way.

Is it possible that the guys were indeed putting in the fibres for a shiny new cabinet? Or does this mean nothing and I am clutching at fibre straws...?

Thanks
Martin
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 27-Dec-14 22:27:02
Print Post

Re: openreach installing fibre cable?

[re: mmackenzie] [link to this post]

Posting your exchange and either the postcode of the cab or your own should help others provide some information.
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 27-Dec-14 22:32:09
Print Post

What was he doing? An OR van at a PCP isn't anything to get excited about usually; just their day job.

If there's an FTTC cab nearby, then maybe (installing tie cable), or if there was some black pipe with yellow markings, that'd be the getting ready for fibre.

As MCM said, best to check all the checkers, and maybe your local BDUK scheme, if any.

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mmackenzie
(newbie) Sun 28-Dec-14 00:37:13
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info.
I put my postcode (G641GF) into the wholesale checker and it told me I was on cabinet 50 on the Bishopbriggs exchange. No FTTC info on the page although nearby cabinets are accepting orders. My main concern is that we will be passed over as there are not that many houses in the estate currently. Miles away from the exchange too so the ADSL speeds are laughable.

As for the work being done on my cab - sounds like it was pretty routine, no evidence of anything new appearing next or near to it.

Ta much
Standard User btbert
(committed) Sun 28-Dec-14 00:43:51
Print Post

I cant see how only 80 houses would cost in but when the estate is done who knows ?

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2420497773.png
Standard User PaulKirby
(regular) Sun 28-Dec-14 02:01:28
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Also Openreach Where and When says the following:

Exchange name: Bishopbriggs

We're in your area but we're still assessing whether or not we can upgrade your cabinet. This means you can't order Superfast Fibre. Click here to find out more >

So you may or may not have a long wait.

Paul
Standard User MrDeeJay
(regular) Sun 28-Dec-14 09:40:57
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Bishopbriggs should not have long to go.

Govan has just went live under the governments scheme for fibre. I am currently waiting for my install date of 6th Janairy -3 weeks from order!!!

http://www.digitalscotland.org/whereandwhen

It says it's available to some premises on Bishopbriggs exchange.

Liberty Surf, freeserve, Wonadoo, Freedom2Surf, BT Broadband, O2 Broadband, Xilo
Standard User mmackenzie
(newbie) Sun 28-Dec-14 11:50:51
Print Post

[re: MrDeeJay] [link to this post]

The exchange has def been enabled - and lots of cabinets on the Bishopbriggs exchange are starting to accept orders. It's just my cabinet that I'm worried about - only 80 odd houses on it might not be worth upgrading....

Thanks for all the info guys
M

Edited by mmackenzie (Sun 28-Dec-14 11:52:38)

Standard User Fastman2
(member) Sun 28-Dec-14 11:57:56
Print Post

suggest you check with digital scotland -- if its a new dvelopement and the developer only have a voice conversation with openreach and the development is new -- prettly likley will not have been covered under BDUK

if not you may have to speak to your developer to see if they will prviate fund with openreach
Standard User mmackenzie
(newbie) Sun 28-Dec-14 12:19:57
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the info so far guys

Sorry, I meant to mention that the cabinet is just outside the boundaries of our new estate - its at the edge a previous "new" estate and has been there for about 10 years. I'd guess it's been sitting idle for all those years waiting on any further building - Bishopbriggs is expanding out where we are.

Our estate is nowhere near being handed over to the council yet - there are a lot of new phases of house building still to go, but does the fact that the cabinet is def on council land mean that there will be less dealings with the developer?

Thanks
M
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to