General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mike666uk
(newbie) Sun 28-Dec-14 18:03:33
Print Post

Lower Shelton exchange - every street has FTTC except mine

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I've been waiting patiently for years now to be able to get decent broadband capability but it seems like BT has forgotten about me as it's just my street in my whole town that can't get it.

I've been checking on the OpenReach Where and When site every month and I've worked out that my local exchange is Lower Shelton but when I put in my post code it says 'Under Review'.

My post code is MK43 0NA. When I check using the post codes of the streets either side of me it says they are live and accepting orders, I've also double checked this by going through the sign up process on the BT Infinity site to see how far I could get, for example MK43 0AE and MK43 0QB.

I've tried the line checker but my line is actually with Sky so it doesn't help me much. I've also spoken to both Sky and BT on the phone and they both just say keep checking online as my cabinet probably hasn't been switched on, but why has everyone around me been enabled, except my road?

Any help or advice? I'm relying on a poor 3G signal at the minute for all my online needs.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Dec-14 19:09:09
Print Post

Re: Lower Shelton exchange - every street has FTTC except mi

[re: Mike666uk] [link to this post]

why has everyone around me been enabled, except my road?
There can be many reasons why a cab (in your case cab 16) doesn't have FTTC enabled ranging from the cab being economically unavailable due to a low number of connections through to work outstanding and delayed due perhaps to blocked ducts, problems with wayleave or difficulties with or a very expensive to install power supply.

You cab appears to be cab 16. Have you located it? If yes, has an FTTC cab been installed in close proximity?

MK43 0AE is on cab 5 and MK43 0QB on cab 3 which are both FTTC enabled.
Standard User Mike666uk
(newbie) Sun 28-Dec-14 19:50:49
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

There are two green cabinets at the end of my road but I don't think they are particularly new. I can take a photo of them tomorrow when it's light if that helps?
There are about 60 houses on my road all unable to get connected, despite other smaller streets either side of me that are connected.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Dec-14 20:00:18
Print Post

The number of properties in a street is irrelevant, what is relevant is the number of properties connected to a PCP (cabinet). The less properties, the less likely it is that the cabinet is commercially viable. From what I have read the number seems to need to be in excess of 250 and quite possibly more. For cabs that are commercially unviable see whether your local BDUK scheme is going to help fund an upgrade.

If still no go then you're going to be out of luck unless you can get together a scheme where the community find the necessary gap funds to enable BT to upgrade the cabinet. This is something I've been involved with where we are paying BT in excess of £15K to enable our cluster of 75 EO lines (we have no cabinet).
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Dec-14 20:02:52
Print Post

This looks like a PCP cab added (a while ago) to infill around a number of existing cabs, adding some capacity. As such, it is relatively small, while the surrounding ones are full ... which means fewer potential FTTC customers on your cab, and lots on the other cabs.

For more details in Beds, you probably want to be checking this website:
http://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/local-business...

They have maps, and a postcode checker there. Putting your postcode in gives "phase 8" which unfortunately means it is only planned for the basic-broadband phase (ie 2Mbps).

It means you probably have to watch for BDUK phase 2 - or BDUK SEP project.

Any help or advice? I'm relying on a poor 3G signal at the minute for all my online needs.

Any friends or neighbours within line of sight?

You could get a line installed there, and use a form of WiFi with directional-antennas to get the signal to your house.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Dec-14 20:20:50
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Yeap looks like a small cabinet too small for commercial or current BDUK roll-outs. Might even be missed out from the SEP which with a 95% target can afford to miss 5% of the country.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Dec-14 20:35:13
Print Post

If these are the two cabinets you are referring to, then one looks like PCP 16, the other I'm not sure what it is, pretty sure it's not a fibre cab though.

There are 46 properties listed for your postcode (MK43 0NA), and these are supplied by 5 cabs which are 3, 5, 10, 13 and 16.

3 only supplies the sales office and gets a 80/20 estimate
5 supplies four properties (7, 9, 11 & 14) and all get an 80/20 estimate
10 Supplies one property (40) which has an 79/20 estimate with an estimated ready date of 21 January as cab appears full.
13 supplies 26 properties - no FTTC
16 supplies 15 properties - no FTTC

No help to you what so ever (unless you are next door to one of the lucky ones), but it's some information you may find interesting. The high estimates mean that cabinets 3, 5 & 10 are all close by. Perhaps they were short of capacity and just used various other local cabs to supply the estate when built.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sun 28-Dec-14 20:37:19)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Dec-14 20:40:55
Print Post

From what I can see, this cab serves 5 postcodes, but every single one of those postcodes is also served by at least one other cab. In every case, cab 16 serves a minority of the postcode.

MK43 0FE: Served mostly by cabs 3, 5 and 9 (all converted)
          Cab 16 serves 32% of the postcode.
MK43 0FF: Served mostly by cabs 3, 5 and 9 (all converted)
          Cab 16 serves 41% of the postcode.
MK43 0NA: Served mostly by cabs 3, 5 and 9 (all converted)
          Cab 16 serves 26% of the postcode.
MK43 0QW: Served mostly by cabs 13, 15 (not converted), and 11 (converted)
          Cab 16 serves 3% of the postcode.
MK43 0UR: Served mostly by cabs 5 and 9 (both converted).
          Cab 16 serves 17% of the postcode.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Dec-14 20:42:51
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

We're obviously looking in different places!
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Dec-14 20:47:53
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

And ... ouch ... the cabs that have been enabled will also let you order FTTP on demand. So close, yet so far!

@Mike666

You probably need to talk to the local BDUK group, to make sure they understand that you aren't supplied. With the postcode largely covered by other (upgraded) cabinets, you might be invisible to them in their future plans.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to