General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User keith969
(newbie) Thu 01-Jan-15 13:08:23
Print Post

Fibre dates?

[link to this post]

Our local village (Chinnor in Oxfordshire) has been marked to fibre for a while. According to SamKnows, our exchange (which is confusingly in the village, but called by the next village name Kingston Blount) has a RFS date set : 31/12/2014

On BT and South Oxfordshire sites the date for fibre is anything from March to June 2015. Which is likely to be correct? And will we get offered the choiuce of FTTC or FTTP? I live less than a mile from the exchange; I believe the nearest cabinet to me (OX394DT) is about half a mile away.

Currently I get 15Mb/S download and 0.9Mb/S upload, it's a faster upload speed I really need as I work from home in software development and regularly need to commit code to our cloud-based servers.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Jan-15 14:45:38
Print Post

Re: Fibre dates?

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

Forget SamKnows, regrettably I feel it has outlived its usefulness as a reference since the advent of FTTC/FTTP.

And will we get offered the choice of FTTC or FTTP?
Leaving aside FTTPoD which is extremely expensive both to install and run, users, if offered anything, are currently offered either FTTP or FTTC. As to which is offered this tends to be determined at cab level.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Jan-15 15:45:49
Print Post

The exchange has some dozen cabinets, and they do not usually enable all the cabinets, so unless the dates given are confirmed as being for your cabinet then hard to be sure on any projected dates.

Also postcode OX39 4DT actually is served by three cabinets, Cab 2 is the most likely, then Cab 3 then maybe Cab 4.

As for FTTC or FTTP cannot give any indication of that

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cymru123
(newbie) Thu 01-Jan-15 17:00:50
Print Post

This may help.
The cabinets which MrSaffron has mentioned are down as being up graded for FTTC.

#The DSLAM cabinet for PCP2 is said to be installed s/o 74, STATION RD, CHINNOR, OX39 4HA.
# The DSLAM cabinet for PCP3 is said to be installed outside 48, LOWER ROAD, CHINNOR, OX39 4DU.
# The DSLAM cabinet for PCP4 is said to be installed outside 29, MILL LANE, CHINNOR, OX39 4QU.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 01-Jan-15 17:34:32
Print Post

If you put your phone number into this checker, it may not give FTTx estimates, only ADSLx, but the line above the table tells you your cabinet number.

If you have an LLU phone number that checker will not recognise it so then you use the Address option. Do not use the pure postcode option, as where you are it is likely to give incorrect information. (It only give data for one cabinet even if a particular postcode is served by several).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User keith969
(newbie) Fri 20-Mar-15 10:49:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks, I checked and am served by cab2, which is a bit odd as its further from cab3 although nearer to the exchange.

The new cabinets have have been installed for about a month now. However the BT and South Oxfordshire broadband sites are showing an availability date of June. Why such a delay?
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Mar-15 12:41:48
Print Post

After the cab is sited, it will need power and fibre.

Power is often installed on the same day, but can go wrong - it took my original cab 6 months to sort out, with three different sets of roadworks, in 3 different directions, seeking a suitable power source.

Delivering fibre can be a problem too, depending how many obstructions need to be cleared, and whether roadworks are needed, traffic lights etc.

Some copper tie pairs are needed between the new cab and the original PCP too. That takes a few days of jointing work.

After all is in place, some commissioning takes place.

Altogether, it can be a few days/weeks - but for the unfortunate few, weeks drag into months or even into years.
Standard User keith969
(newbie) Sun 05-Jul-15 19:29:38
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Unfortunately it does seem like weeks are becoming months etc...

We were originally told that fibre would be available by the end of June, now the expected date is put back to September. I happened to pass an Openreach engineer working down one of the street's covers and asked him when fibre would be enabled. He replied 'it'll be ready when its ready'....

So it could be another 3 months, but who knows? The worst thing is that there is no definitive answer available from anyone...
Standard User keith969
(newbie) Sun 05-Jul-15 19:33:51
Print Post

Update: I just checked and got this:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 68.6 50.3 20 14.1 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 59.7 33 19.9 8.9 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 8 -- 5.5 to 12.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 8 Up to 1 5.5 to 12.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

So it would seem that fibre *is* available... but BT have not bothered to contact me yet. Or maybe it's available from the cab2, but not yet to my home???
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 05-Jul-15 19:43:41
Print Post

Was that check based on your phone number ? And did it confirm your cabinet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to