General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sylcol
(member) Thu 01-Jan-15 13:59:23
Print Post

Standard v Fibre

[link to this post]

I currently get between 15 to 17 Mbps hard wired to desktop via TT.
BT Fibre soon available in my street, I am thinking about going for the Infinity 1 deal and being close to cabinet I would get nearly the full offering of 38Mbps.

Question is and I know it is probably difficult to say, but just how much difference would I see in general web browsing? I have a feeling that the extra cost may not prove to be worthwhile.

Can anyone offer any experience of this?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Jan-15 15:02:58
Print Post

Re: Standard v Fibre

[re: Sylcol] [link to this post]

If getting 15 Meg speeds now then probably not anything major in terms of browsing.

Upload speeds are the biggest change

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Jan-15 15:18:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Although upload speeds on TT would only be slightly better (with 40/2 packages). Other ISPs tend to do 40/10 packages, while plusnet do 40/20.

I'd agree that there would be little difference in browsing, or in streaming, if you are the only person on the link. If you share it with others, and multiple users attempt heavy use simultaneously, then you probably would see less contention between the users.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sylcol
(member) Thu 01-Jan-15 17:08:41
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks to both of you, much what I expected.

TT has been a real pain recently with yet again loss of email including web mail and not even being able to log in to my account.

Felt that a change was due but looks like it will cost me more after the first 12 months.

Still undecided!
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Thu 01-Jan-15 20:57:28
Print Post

[re: Sylcol] [link to this post]

with yet again loss of email including web mail
Whatever ISP you have I suggest you get email from somewhere else, either free such as gmail or a variety of cheap paid offerings.
Then when you decide it is time to change ISP no need to change your email address.
You may need to use your ISP email for a few things, such as talking to your ISP; but you can probably forward those to your real email anyway.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Jan-15 08:57:50
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

I would take that one stage further and get a domain name. A .co.uk domain is cheap and means you can use an address on your own domain and set it to forward the emails to whatever provider email service. This way if the email service goes to pants you can switch to a different service whilst retaining your own email addresses.
Standard User Sylcol
(member) Fri 02-Jan-15 13:16:00
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

All good advice as usual.
Thank you very much!
  Print Thread

Jump to