General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jecop
(newbie) Fri 02-Jan-15 00:20:56
Print Post

PPPoE does not connect to my ISP

[link to this post]

If everything goes as promised, tomorrow an SFI engineer will come to fix a problem. I hope somebody here has encountered or heard of a similar issue and can point in the right direction in case the engineer cannot help.
I have FTTC from Xilo, with a dedicated IP, which gets assigned when my modem establishes connection.

From one moment to the next, my FTTC connection disappeared. My first suspicion was that all connection was lost, but checking the modem, it turns out I still have an active pppoe session, with an ip in the range 172.16.152.xxx (a private IP) The actual address changes each time I drop and reconnect. The server address is always 213.1.104.1. No gateway is assigned and the DNS IP it receives is 62.6.38.125. I cannot ping anything and after a couple of minutes the connection drops.

When using a pppoe session from a laptop directly connected to the modem, the pppoe session is established with whatever username/password I enter.
I can also establish a connection with the bt-speed test login name in which case I can connect to the bt wholesale speed test website.
So there is nothing physically wrong with my connection, I just do not get connected to my ISP.
I'm not sure an SFI engineer can help me.
The addresses above are owned by BT according to Whois, so I believe I somehow have been configured as a BT INFINITY customer. But that is just a guess, could somebody confirm this?
Does anybody know where the logic is maintained to map a specific phone line to a specific ISP?
And who can correct the information there so I get my connection back?
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Jan-15 07:21:01
Print Post

Re: PPPoE does not connect to my ISP

[re: jecop] [link to this post]

My first thought is that an engineer visit to your home is unlikely to help.

Sounds like a RADIUS/DHCP issues, which is software based.

Are you using the IR modem? Possibly a VLAN issue if not (should be 101).

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User PaulKirby
(regular) Fri 02-Jan-15 07:21:09
Print Post

I am no expert here but it sounds like you haven't been set up to your ISP yet.
I assume its a new install, if so you may have to wait or get in contact with your ISP.
Basically what I think may of happened is where Open Reach has installed it all it would connect up to BT's infrastructure allowing them to do tests and once its all setup and working it gets then switched over to your ISP.
It may just need to have an engineer to gain access to your exchange to switch you over, or maybe its now done remotely now, not sure.
But like I said I am no expert here and could be wrong here.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jecop
(newbie) Fri 02-Jan-15 07:34:49
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks Paul, it's not a new install, my connection worked perfectly for several months. My suspicion is that my neighbours, who just moved in, got their connection around the same time as mine disappeared. So, whoever did that install may have crossed wires. I've not had a chance to ask them to confirm this though.
Standard User jecop
(newbie) Fri 02-Jan-15 07:40:12
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Thanks Andy, I normally use a draytek 3760 modem+router, which worked fine for several months. VLAN is set to 101.
For testing and reporting the error, I've connected BT modem to the master socket, which shows me the exact same behaviour.

Edited by jecop (Fri 02-Jan-15 08:03:14)

Standard User jecop
(newbie) Fri 02-Jan-15 09:00:32
Print Post

SFI engineer is here while I write this. He can indeed do nothing, as the line is active, although the sync speed he gets (20 down) is much less than normal (30 down), so there is something changed physically too, but given that I still get 20, he does not want to investigate that further.
I don't understand why open reach insisted on sending an engineer. He stated that it is obvious he can nt help with this kind of issues. From the information I provided to xilo (same as I posted here) it should be clear whether an engineer is required. Most likely openreach will now attempt to charge me for the call out.
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Jan-15 09:46:18
Print Post

Was he at least able to see the ISP issue? I'd want the ISP to pick up the bill if the problem continues.

Really does sound like an ISP/Handover issue to me, which would just be configuration I believe.

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Jan-15 09:48:01
Print Post

You would only get billed if the fault was of your own making, e.g. lead plugged into wrong port on modem etc

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(regular) Fri 02-Jan-15 09:49:39
Print Post

Is your phone line working I.e. is it your line, if you have a mobile phone your land line.
We had an issue a little while back where our line got swapped with another line down our road, resulting in a different phone line (resulting in a different number) and we also had their broadband connection.
If this is the case the engineer will have to check the BT Pit and or the cabinet, I very much doubt the issue is in the exchange.

Paul
Standard User jecop
(newbie) Fri 02-Jan-15 10:09:25
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

I showed him the output of IPCONFIG command on laptop after connecting pppoe session, but I do not think he was much interested.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to