General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jecop
(newbie) Fri 02-Jan-15 10:11:04
Print Post

Re: PPPoE does not connect to my ISP

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

The phone line never stopped working. But I expect the fibre line could be swapped without impacting the copper
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Jan-15 10:29:55
Print Post

[re: jecop] [link to this post]

The SFI engineers are not highly trained TCP/IP or Radius trained people.

The analysis of the fault if you have reasonable sync can all be done by people in remote offices, but fault sheets have a path where getting connection verified by engineer is part of the path.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jecop
(newbie) Fri 02-Jan-15 10:42:15
Print Post

Second engineer has turned up and is now going to the cabinet to see if any wires have been swapped.
I have found evidence that this is likely - my neighbour was supposed to get FTTC connected on the day I lost my connection. According to BT he was connected, but his line is not working. He has phone, but no BB.
He is not very computer literate, so cannot do any testing.
As he had ordered BT INFINITY, it seems they physically removed my connection for his.
So I hope the engineer will come back with good news soon.
This all started on Dec 23rd, but I was out of country. My neighbour has been on the phone to BT on daily basis since then, and has decided to cancel his contract with BT because they could not work out what had gone wrong.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jecop
(newbie) Fri 02-Jan-15 11:20:57
Print Post

Confirmed that cables had been swapped in the cabinet, so I got my neighbours connection.
I've never had a chance to look inside a cabinet, but assume it should have been possible to spot that there was an existing connection which somebody removed to hook up my neighbours wires.
Standard User PaulKirby
(regular) Fri 02-Jan-15 11:32:44
Print Post

*** Update ***
Must read full posts before replying LOL.
Glad you got it sorted in the end.

I suspect that the bridging cables between the PCP Cabinet (phone cabinet) and the connected Fibre Cabinet has been knocked and come loose and the engineer has just plugged it in where they thought it come from.

Saying that it could still possibly be at the exchange end where it routes off to the required connected ISP.

Seems strange this happening the cabinet end or the exchange due to its more neater and more organized there than it is in the shielded enclosure in the pit by the pole where most of the issues seem to happen, which was why I asked if your phone line was working ok with your number.

But it does make sense, I but that your neighbour is trying to connect to your provider and you to theirs.

Have you tried to changing your username to "bthomehub@btbroadband.com" (without the quotes) and with a blank password.
See if that connects?

That aside, these thing do happen a lot, we have had it happen to us 3 time in just 1 year, but our PCP Cabinet is very very old and still using the original wiring.
Even one time we had no clue until we started getting loads of calls asking for the same person and was also told when we called friends why we didn't answer our phone when they called.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Fri 02-Jan-15 11:35:34)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Jan-15 20:26:56
Print Post

Re: PPPoE does not connect to my ISP *DELETED*

Post deleted by Zarjaz
Standard User jamie543
(regular) Sat 03-Jan-15 00:29:18
Print Post

typical lazy first engineer did not even i suppose look in the cab for an issue? if so how the hell can he expect to find the issue?

Edited by jamie543 (Sat 03-Jan-15 00:29:56)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to