General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User monkeyscrittles
(newbie) Fri 02-Jan-15 13:19:59
Print Post

FTTC Exchange only

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone,
I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on what might be happening to a cab on the end of my road and also whether there may be signs of it being upgraded to house some E/O lines. I believe I am on an exchange only line at the postcode de55 1af and if you type into the wholesale checker it says fibre is not available. On the superfast where and when it says it is available however I think this should be taken with a pinch of salt!

I saw on roadworks.org back in november that they were works planned where the current cabinet (21) is at the end of my road to install new cabinet and pipework however those dates came and went without any sign of BT or roadworks or any new footing for a cab.

I've tried to check the local company/project that is rolling it out outside of the openreach plan and it states i'm either part of phase 5b or in another phase! Just wondering if there is any information on whether or not the cab is due an upgrade soon as this might give me an idea as to whether the Exchange only line may move to an upgraded cabinet?

Cheers.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Jan-15 15:28:01
Print Post

Re: FTTC Exchange only

[re: monkeyscrittles] [link to this post]

If you are on an exchange only line, i.e. no cabinet number shown when checking number or full address then you are in the 2/3rds of the postcode served by EO lines.

The rest are connected to cabinet 21, as for fibre plans on that cabinet have nothing to add.

Some EO lines are moved to new cabinets or some are moved to existing cabinets. All depends on the project in the area and the targets they are working towards.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sylcol
(member) Fri 02-Jan-15 17:16:12
Print Post

[re: monkeyscrittles] [link to this post]

I am in a similar situation.
A lot of work has been in my area and new cabinets installed and powered up.
I now find that my next door neighbour is able to get fibre if he wants but I am fed from the next pole nearer to the exchange and can not get it yet.

A new cabinet has been installed outside the main exchange and I am now fed via this were previously I was E/O. have to wait now to see if this cabinet gets powered up in the near future.

Another complication is that I am not with BT for phone or broadband and so the checker does not recognise my number even though it was originally BT.
In order to see who is connected to what, I have to put neighbours numbers into the checker (with their permission) who are still with BT. This is easy to work out because we are all on overhead lines.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Jan-15 17:56:01
Print Post

[re: Sylcol] [link to this post]

If you use the address checker, but only enter a postcode, the checker will respond with a list of addresses. Selecting these in turn will give you an idea for each property, but some of the properties end up with no result.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Addres...

This method of checking is generally pretty sound, and certainly an improvement over the postcode checker.
Standard User Sylcol
(member) Fri 02-Jan-15 19:21:11
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

WWWombat,
Thanks for that, don't know why I had not found that one.
It does indeed show that I am connected to cabinet 28 which is the new one recently built outside the exchange. I entered house number as well and it went straight to my address. Just need to wait now until the adjacent fibre cabinet is commissioned.

Edited by Sylcol (Fri 02-Jan-15 19:23:26)

Standard User monkeyscrittles
(newbie) Tue 06-Jan-15 15:57:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi All,

Thanks for the info, I reckon that the issue I've got is that they came to do the install of ducting and base for cabinet and discovered that unless they uproot a street sign or commemorative bench they have no where to put it!

I'm guessing its on the shelf until they get approval from the council to move either of the items and I'll be at the end of the 2017 plans if at all! Ah well, 2mb is not that slow i guess frown

Cheers guys.
Standard User hopeless
(member) Wed 07-Jan-15 09:44:56
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I think that site needs updating. I get 2 different results from BT.

btwholesale.com
http://i.imgur.com/siPXoS9.png

dslchecker.bt.com
http://i.imgur.com/6LPDOfH.png

I was told last summer by Openreach they had no plans in the foreseeable future to enable FTTC on EO lines in the area, but 6 months later I'm now connected to a cabinet.

Not sure when exactly I was transferred over but just waiting for an engineer visit.

I'm having reoccurring thoughts the engineer will come round and tell me there's been a mistake and I'll be stuck on ADSL forever.

Keep the faith people - apparently we aren't forgotten.
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Jan-15 11:42:57
Print Post

[re: hopeless] [link to this post]

Difference could be due to checking by phone number in one, and address in the other.

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
  Print Thread

Jump to