General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobd91
(newbie) Fri 02-Jan-15 23:21:06
Print Post

EOL in Kent

[link to this post]

Hi,

I had not heard the dread words 'exchange only line' until yesterday. I have been waiting for fibre for ages as the roads were dug up months ago but yesterday BT OpenReach said I was live and accepting orders. Hurrah, except no provider could provide fibre. Today I managed to get confirmation that I (like 100 other households in the village) have an EOL and will not be getting fibre for the forseeable future.

Has anyone got any idea if BDUK/Kent will be doing anything about EOL households?

Thanks,
Bob
Standard User Deft
(committed) Sat 03-Jan-15 07:51:14
Print Post

Re: EOL in Kent

[re: bobd91] [link to this post]

If you give your exchange / postcode someone may be able to help.
Also, have you entered your postcode in the Making Kent Quicker page?
http://webapps.kent.gov.uk/KCC.BroadbandChecker.Web....
I don't know how reliable the info is from there, but worth a try.
I'm on an EO line in a Kent village but it seems like I might get fibre one day - so it's not necessarily a definite no, but I guess every exchange etc. is assessed on a case by case basis.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Jan-15 08:49:42
Print Post

How about alternatives?

Fixed Wireless Access from Vfast Internet - http://vfast.co.uk

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobd91
(newbie) Sat 03-Jan-15 16:05:53
Print Post

[re: Deft] [link to this post]

Thanks. My exchange is Pembury, the postcode TN2 4HL

I have checked the KCC website, they say I should get fibre but then cover themselves with ifs and buts.

None of these websites (OpenReach, BDUK, county council, ISPs) seem to acknowledge that there is such as thing as an exchange only line. It seems a bit odd as it must affect a lot of households.

Edited by bobd91 (Sat 03-Jan-15 16:07:39)

Standard User bobd91
(newbie) Sat 03-Jan-15 16:06:50
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Thanks, I had not heard of vfast before.
Standard User seeingstars
(newbie) Sat 03-Jan-15 17:27:41
Print Post

BDUK Kent do appear to be intending to address some EO lines.

For example, our village exchange (NDBOU, exchange location ME13 9AP) has also just gone live for FTTC, bang on schedule for phase 4. I believe there are quite a number of EO lines in the village, including every one in my postcode. According to the Kent website we are due to get FTTP in the next phase of the rollout, phase 5, planned for deployment during January to June 2015. Fingers crossed.

Unfortunately SamKnows is showing the Pembury exchange as not scheduled for FTTP, but I guess that doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility of another cabinet being put in for the EO lines.
Standard User Mike666uk
(newbie) Sun 04-Jan-15 08:50:29
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
How about alternatives?

Fixed Wireless Access from Vfast Internet - http://vfast.co.uk

Anyone know anything like this that covers Bedfordshire? I'm stuck in a no internet zone!
Standard User stuartfletcheruk
(newbie) Sun 04-Jan-15 10:40:37
Print Post

Hi Bob,

You appear to be scheduled as part of the Phase 4 rollout which is probably starting sometime now.

As far as I know the work that was just completed in Pembury was Phase 3 (I live near the Rec and was able to place an order just before Christmas against Cab 3 on Lower Green Road). The ability to order went live about 5 days after the work finished. Phase 3 was July to Dec 14.

I was avidly checking kent.roadworks.org for months to see when the work would start in/around Pembury. There is an option on roadworks.org to show future roadworks and BTOR seem to post their schedule about two weeks ahead. There is nothing showing for your part of Pembury yet near the exchange but it is worth checking back every week

Stuart
Standard User seeingstars
(newbie) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:36:06
Print Post

By the way, have you looked at the new interactive map on the Making Kent Quicker website -putting in a postcode shows individual properties. For your postcode it looks promising - there is a patch without fibre, presumably the EO lines, but due to be enabled by the end of 2015.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:53:17
Print Post

Is that postcode your postcode, or the exchanges.

I think the EO on Pembury may be addressed by the addition of a new cabinet and FTTC twin cabinet 8 I think.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to