General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OkeeOkee
(newbie) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:12:54
Print Post

Connection jitter/stutter issue while gaming.

[link to this post]

Gaming on this TalkTalk fibre is unbearable especially for competitive tournaments. There is noticeable jitter/stutter in games (on PCs or console). Lack of hit registration and even "warping" are present, whereby the server shifts the players position erratically at times. This happens when connecting to ANY server in fps games, on different devices which are always connected through wire (Ethernet), not Wireless. RTS games have weird delays. Very noticeable.

A BQM test was performed and it shows inconsistency in latency. Graph below is for this connection.
This TalkTalk fibre BQM

And graph below is a fibre connection from a Plusnet user. For example as a stable connection.
A random stable fibre Plusnet user

Ping tests were performed while the connection was unused.
All devices were unplugged and WiFi was disabled. Similar results on 2 routers (TalkTalk HG533 Router + Trendnet TEW818DR) So this is not a router or hardware issue on this end. Filter and wiring are all in good condition. BT Engineer stated line was top notch in terms of quality during install and green cabinet is very close.

Tracerouting to these servers doesn't reveal any lagy nodes or unusual pings en route. This clearly seems as a service/connection issue.

If anybody can assist with this issue and answer some questions.
1) Is this something TalkTalk will be able to fix, is it in their power? Or it's most likely Openreach? Is this a sign of cabinet congestion or overhaul?
2) Will changing provider to Zen for example help remove this issue?

Any assistance is gladly appreciated.

Edited by OkeeOkee (Sun 04-Jan-15 12:13:34)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:15:16
Print Post

Re: Connection jitter/stutter issue while gaming.

[re: OkeeOkee] [link to this post]

Are you suggesting the Plusnet connection would solve your problem?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User OkeeOkee
(newbie) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:20:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

No it just shows what a user from another provider can have in terms of stability. Are you suggesting anything? smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:22:51
Print Post

What is the point of posting the random Plusnet BQM then?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User OkeeOkee
(newbie) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:26:00
Print Post

Would posting a non Plusnet, any other random provider make a difference to the solving the issue?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:26:38
Print Post

The bqm is good enough that I would not expect to see warping and jumping.

To see if ISP or fttc issue need to compare with others on the same cabinet

I doubt any ISP would consider that your bqm is showing a fault as such

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:30:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by OkeeOkee:
Would posting a non Plusnet, any other random provider make a difference to the solving the issue?
I can't see any point.

Standard User OkeeOkee
(newbie) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:35:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The bqm is good enough that I would not expect to see warping and jumping.

To see if ISP or fttc issue need to compare with others on the same cabinet

I doubt any ISP would consider that your bqm is showing a fault as such

I see Andrew. Thank you for the information. Perhaps true that BQM may not show anything out of the ordinary. But nevertheless there is this stutter issue which is present and very noticeable in games.

We've had different "gamers" visit and they all seem to notice and complain severely about it.

A few more quick questions.

Do you still think that changing provider is likely improve the situation? Perhaps this kind of thing is more often overhaul/ISP issue?
Or preferably find others on same cabinet with different provider and test?

Edited by OkeeOkee (Sun 04-Jan-15 12:40:36)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:56:00
Print Post

Changing ISP might help, but before doing that best to see what performance others get, as you might be moving to one that is worse.

One presumes your console/PC is using Ethernet rather than wireless, and you might find a provider using the up to 10 Mbps or up to 20 Mbps upload will perform better if you are also doing side stuff like voice/twitch

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User OkeeOkee
(newbie) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:56:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by OkeeOkee:
I can't see any point.

I could change it to just a "stable looking bqm" from FAQ. Or maybe link 3-5 other random provider bqm graphs? Would that ease the point? smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to