General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WelshWArrior
(experienced) Mon 05-Jan-15 20:10:06
Print Post

Does Ribble what what 'cival work' has halted SWTB rollout?

[link to this post]

I'm gutted to say the least. Our exchange, Tenby (SWTB) was meant to be live before end of December. When it hadn't gone live, I checked this AM and go live date has changed to 'by end of March 2015' so I emailed Superfast Wales asking why. Their answer: "Unforseen civils work has meant we were not able to get fibre to the Tenby exchange as we had expected" so they are now apparently working on alternatives!

Could Ribble or anyone else with inside info PLEASE try to find out what has halted the rollout? We were so close - all the CABs are in and an engineer told me before Christmas that it would be first week in Jan once fibre is pulled from the nearby 'master' exchange (Haverfordwest). Our neighbour exchange, Saundersfoot went live today with others around here in the coming days so it makes it all worse frown

-------------------------------------------
PlusNet ADSL2+ Unlimited.
Speedtest

Edited by WelshWArrior (Mon 05-Jan-15 20:12:22)

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Jan-15 11:46:41
Print Post

Re: Does Ribble what what 'cival work' has halted SWTB rollo

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

Susspect its just spine duct and cabling work
(experienced) Tue 06-Jan-15 11:55:29
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply Ribble - I hope you are correct and it is just the actual fibre installing left to do and nothing major stopping it. Shame Superfast Wales won't elaborate!!

You say 'spine duct' - is that the ducting that the actual fibre goes in as it travels towards the CABs? If so, there was a lot of that being put in in the month s before Christmas - black stuff with a yellow (?) stripe on it?

Speedtest

Edited by WelshWArrior (Tue 06-Jan-15 11:56:43)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 06-Jan-15 13:48:33
Print Post

That's the tube they blow the fibre down, but is probably where the issue lies. Somewhere where they couldn't get the tube through.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
(experienced) Tue 06-Jan-15 14:02:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hmm that's what I thought! Perhaps I'm being a bit pessimistic but I've heard too many horror stories of probs like this causing months and even years of hold ups!!

I just hope they can get around it (perhaps literally!!) soon!

Speedtest
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Tue 06-Jan-15 14:38:08
Print Post

Yeah, we have been waiting for BTO to finish off ours that started back in 2011 and still yet to complete ours, we even have all the fibre manifold etc our end already fitted in the pit and up the pole and just waiting for the tubing and fibre to be installed, but I am sure it will get completed some time soon or they will possibly loose out on up to 12K homes to VM who are currently installing in our area.

Thanks
Paul
Standard User Gadget
(committed) Wed 07-Jan-15 08:49:43
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Which area - the VM East End of London expansion?
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Jan-15 09:04:21
Print Post

Superfast Cymru seem to be a waste of time. The information they gave our A.M. was hopelessly out of date. I'm trying to find out what is going to happen with a PCP in Blackbridge, Milford Haven as it serves Waterston where I have friends struggling with 1.5 meg speeds (on a good day), WE have been told it is included in the roll out but the cab itself is more than a mile outside of the village, so I am anxious to see what (if anything) they are going to do there.

Cant believe Tenby is still ongoing, especially as you guys had ADSL2 long before we did in Pembroke.

It could be worse.. this cabinet could be yours !

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC
SWPM PCP29 - Still suffering Random drops and intermittent high error counts

BQM - a lot less red these days
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Jan-15 09:30:30
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

Indeed, should be getting FTTP. Who knows when though.
(experienced) Wed 07-Jan-15 09:32:25
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

Hahahaha - yep glad that isn't mine!!!

I've been doing some research on roadworks.org today and there are loads of BT works starting around here in the next week and several of them on the road between Kilgetty and Tenby are to excavate and unblock ducts so fingers crossed, assuming that's the route the fibre is taking, that is the cause of the current hold up.

Luckily, my CAB (number 3) is the first on the way into town so should be the first to be enabled according to the Openreach guy I spoke to before Christmas.

How are your speeds now mate? Stabilised? What you sync'd at?

Speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to