General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User garethr
(member) Wed 07-Jan-15 16:19:54
Print Post

FTTP Red Light Of Death

[link to this post]

All,

I have a friend who has FTTP. Lots of people in his street have FTTP. However, yesterday they all had red lights on their ONT's and couldn't use their phone or broadband.

However, at 4:10AM this morning the phones and broadband started working again. Openreach sent engineers to the street this morning and found no fault. Then at 13:00 it all failed again. BT consumer are insisting on sending out engineers again to each house - probably on Friday to undertaken the same tests again.

Some of the properties have been visited by Openreach 5 times in the last month.

Is this normal.

BTW Mine works at the moment.

Regards,

Gareth
BT Infinity FTTP 80Mbps/20Mbps
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14188...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Jan-15 17:29:24
Print Post

Re: FTTP Red Light Of Death

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

Not normal.

The FTTP network is passive so nothing electrical to fail in the street, suggests an issue with the GPON segment that these people are connected to. Particularly if other streets with FTTP nearby are still working.

The fibres are tested when the network is constructed, but am not sure how well fibre networks cope with some of the nasty things that happen in the real world, e.g. flooded chambers. The enclosures are meant to be water tight, but could be a fibre splitter that is not and this is causing problems maybe.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Wed 07-Jan-15 19:20:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You'd expect that the topology of the FTTP GPON network would provide a good clue. Presumably Openreach can remotely monitor which fibre links have dropped out -- after all, there's an active ONT on each line, and if all those on a particular GPON node have failed, it ought to server to localise the issue. Maybe the optical transceiver at the exchange end, or at the GPON node or somewhere in between.

I suppose one issue with fibre is it's not so easy to perform the equivalent of a pair swap is I believe the fibres have to be fused. Not quite such a simple job to do redoing a couple of IDC connectors. Also, you can't just put a test lead into a connector (although I assume the GPON nodes have test "ports", for want of a better name.

It's certainly going to provide some new challenges. Many people seem to think that fibre won't be prone to faults and degradation, at least nothing like copper. That may or may not be true, but I rather think that it's going to be a bit more troublesome to fix things when the do go wrong. Copper is convenient. After all, how many people us fibre optics within their house?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Jan-15 19:29:04
Print Post

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

Losing the phone service is a catastrophic state of affairs for BT.

Is everyone using a voice over fibre service, or is this a fault that has taken out the copper and/or exchange too?
Standard User garethr
(member) Wed 07-Jan-15 22:28:18
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Yep. All are FVA with BT Consumer. One person on BT Business who for some very interesting reason didn't give him FVA. All the install were done in November / December.

Regards,

Gareth

Gareth
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Jan-15 22:41:20
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

I suppose one issue with fibre is it's not so easy to perform the equivalent of a pair swap is I believe the fibres have to be fused. Not quite such a simple job to do redoing a couple of IDC connectors. Also, you can't just put a test lead into a connector (although I assume the GPON nodes have test "ports", for want of a better name.

'Redoing' a splice is reasonably easy to do, obviously a tad more time consuming than a crimp but ..... You don't swap pairs, you just blow a new fibre in ....

As for testing, you take a light meter reading, and if a trace is needed, apply a light source.

To me, the OP's post would seem to imply a failure back at the head end in the exchange.

Standard User garethr
(member) Wed 07-Jan-15 22:45:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew,

The same road has had one house disconnected because the fibre inside the splice point on the outside of the house split.

One user on FVA had his line set to engaged for about a week and consumer couldn't fix it. The same user had infinity option 3 and could only get 100Mbps so consumer downgraded him. Then again everyone could only get 10Mbps in the evenings for about 15 days because something was going on with the exchange (SVLAN maybe). The same poor guy is on his 6th engineer visit. Not that sending an engineer helps

On another road we have a user who has a TESTED AND DOUBLE CHECKED *LIVE* fibre on the outside of his house but BT Openreach's computer system will not allow internal installation as it reckons it is IMPOSSIBLE for him to have FTTP. Show's how good the checker is for FTTP.

Random houses in the area can't order but the number seems to randomly fluctuate.

There has also been issued with connection changes and reconnection charges.

LLU to BT FTTP? You'll need a new phone number....

In September all the original orders were cancelled as Openreach forgot to actually connect the area to the Exchange and couldn't raise a work order if the orders were active - but consumers computer system didn't think they were cancelled.

Shall I continue?

Regards,

Gareth

Gareth
Standard User garethr
(member) Wed 07-Jan-15 22:53:04
Print Post

TheEulerID,

You would think they monitor it. I don't think they do.

I'm suspicious that it went back on at 4AM. Sounds to me like it was checked and something kicked the port/card. Maybe they routinely do that like they do the line tests.

BT said that fibre was more reliable in their own blurb.

We've had other faults in the area (large FTTP deployment) were it has taken Openreach MONTHS to fix weird faults.

Regards,

Gareth

Gareth
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Thu 08-Jan-15 09:16:57
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Presumably you don't usually have to blow in a new fibre. There are surely spares installed as the cost if installation is likely to be far higher than the actual fibre.

But yes, it does sound more like an exchange-end fault, but surely that possibility would have been eliminated first.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Jan-15 09:27:50
Print Post

Openreach is probably learning the procedures, the fibre leased line side is much smaller teams and different hardware set-ups so the limited numbers of staff with that expertise who are still busy with leased line business may still take a while to get used to GPON.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to