General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ianfreeman
(regular) Fri 09-Jan-15 17:35:25
Print Post

If I change providers will speed improve?

[link to this post]

I'm currently only getting around 17Mbps/7.5Mbps on Sky Fibre Broadband using wifi. If I change suppliers, would anyone know if my speeds are likely to improve or will it just be a whole load of hassle for nothing?

It's not practical for me to connect by ethernet cable, so I'm stuck with wifi. Many thanks for any help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Jan-15 17:55:38
Print Post

Re: If I change providers will speed improve?

[re: ianfreeman] [link to this post]

You MUST check with Ethernet to see if it is the Wi-Fi side that is slowing you down. A pain I know but dragging a PC within Ethernet distance or getting say a 20m cable to test is worth doing.

With FTTC generally the connection speed is same for all the providers since the same hardware is used in the cabinet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ianfreeman
(regular) Sat 10-Jan-15 11:11:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the advice. I'll have to buy a long cable and try ethernet that way.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Jan-15 12:00:04
Print Post

2nd the advice about ethernet, WiFi often slows the speeds down to around what you are seeing.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Jan-15 14:58:46
Print Post

Check your Sky Hub connection speed:- http://broadbandconnection.sky.com/speed-finder

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2

Edited by 5km (Sat 10-Jan-15 14:59:12)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Jan-15 15:51:08
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
Check your Sky Hub connection speed:- http://broadbandconnection.sky.com/speed-finder

Was trying to find that myself for my earlier post, was going to resort to asking them to login to the router and gets stats but thought no point given they have already ordered ethernet cable. Great find - will bookmark.
Standard User ianfreeman
(regular) Sat 10-Jan-15 16:29:03
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

That tells me it's 40 down and 10 up, thanks for the link. I haven't actually ordered the cable yet. Am going into hospital for a hip replacement on Monday so will deal with all this when I come out as I'll be grateful to have something to do - apart from physio!
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Jan-15 16:55:25
Print Post

That tells us that you are getting the full fibre speeds on the standard sky fibre package l.

You should be seeing around 32 to 36 Mbps

The issue will almost certainly be the setup not the actual connection, most likely the wifi

It is likely a microwave, Bluetooth earphones, Bluetooth mouse, wireless keyboard, cordless landline, doorbell, baby monitor, neighbours router, wireless video transmitter etc is on the same channel or very close by. It is likely to be a combination of all of these devices using the same frequency that's resulting in the slowdown.

Can you navigate to 192.168.0.1 in your browser.

Username: admin
Password: sky

Click setup. Where it says wireless channel this will be set on AUTO.

Change this to channel 1 and apply it at the bottom of the page. The wifi will drop out and come back. Now do a speed test.

Now repeat the above but try channel 6. Do a speed test.

Repeat this time channel 11. Speed test.

Repeat this time channel 13. Speed test

If for any reason you apply the wrong settings and break it, hold the reset button for 20 seconds to get the router to default.

In my house I get 10 Mbps on channel 1 which is what my router goes onto using AUTO and I get 37Mbps on channel 13.

Quick 10 minute job may solve it.
Do not bother with channels 2.3.4.5.7.8.9.10.12 as they overlap with 1 6 and 11.

The only real free channels are 1, 6 and 11. 13 tends to be rarely used as it's banned in the USA, so most devices don't use it, hence recommendation to use this as well.

This was Typed on my phone apologies for any spelling errors.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 10-Jan-15 17:11:01)

Standard User ianfreeman
(regular) Sat 10-Jan-15 19:56:02
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks so much for this. Will give it a go tomorrow and report back.
Standard User ianfreeman
(regular) Sun 11-Jan-15 09:51:26
Print Post

Last night I was getting 29.6/9.3 on channel 1. This morning the best of the four channels is 11, getting 21 or so.

Thanks so much for letting me know which channels not to bother with as I'd wasted a lot of time and effort trying them in the past. I'll stick with trying 1,6,11 and 13 over a period and see how it goes. Those speeds are acceptable, I think.

Clearly changing providers will not help. Would it be an idea to maybe replace my Sky router? Thanks again to all who responded.

Edited by ianfreeman (Sun 11-Jan-15 10:00:36)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to