General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Jan-15 09:08:41
Print Post

Fibre Install Questions - Kit All Ready

[link to this post]

I'm (finally, hopefully, touch wood) getting FTTC installed this Wednesday.

I've already got an MK2 VDSL plate installed, and a Fritzbox 3390 currently running the ADSL2 connection.

So, all I should need to do when the cab connection is made, is put in the VLAN and switch to PPPoE authentication (I have it manually set to PPPoA right now).

Given that, what is the engineer likely to do when he/she turns up?

Do they need to plug in their own kit to test the line? Will they want to plug in the OR modem?

I'm thinking I should ask for the "included" modem and faceplate for spares.

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Jan-15 09:37:23
Print Post

Re: Fibre Install Questions - Kit All Ready

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

If an engineer install, then let them get on with it, and no reason for them to know you will be using the 3390, simplest route is let them install modem and prove it all by connecting to Ethernet WAN port on the 3390

Not likely to touch the faceplate unless it all looks a bit funky

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Jan-15 11:02:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Do they go as far as plugging the customer's router in and testing that? I'd have thought not...?

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Jan-15 13:57:50
Print Post

nope, they will do several tests and one of which is to check the speed and also that your line is passing various thresholds ..
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Jan-15 14:44:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by AndyPandy:
Do they go as far as plugging the customer's router in and testing that? I'd have thought not...?

In the two installations I have been involved with (both by genuine Openreach people) they have stayed around long enough to let me do that.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Jan-15 18:47:31
Print Post

If it's Zen you are staying with as an FTTC ISP, then the install will be for 'modem only'. Dependant on who comes to do the work, some tests of sync should be made, and a pair quality test made if a fully fledged OR bod.

Why not remove the faceplate filter in the morning, that way you'll get one fitted, and have one as a spare as you said ? A good chance it'll be an MK3 as well.

Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Jan-15 19:13:20
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
If it's Zen you are staying with as an FTTC ISP, then the install will be for 'modem only'. Dependant on who comes to do the work, some tests of sync should be made, and a pair quality test made if a fully fledged OR bod.

Why not remove the faceplate filter in the morning, that way you'll get one fitted, and have one as a spare as you said ? A good chance it'll be an MK3 as well.

Yup, staying with Zen. No reason not to.

Had OR out not that long ago for an intermittently cracking line - apparently it's the "perfect pair", apart from the noise, that he only heard once, whilst not in the test socket, so off he went. (I've heard it in the test socket!)

Was an oldish guy too, which in my quite broad experience, means a good one.

I'm more interested in getting the modem, as the filters can be had for not much money, and the mk3 is meant to hit synch speed to the benefit of stability. I'm also "working from home" so really need to stay connected whilst I can... laugh

Right now the crackling has gone, maybe someone nudged the pair in the PCP. There's a quiet hum, but it's not affecting my ADSL synch speeds.

I was more curious to know what I should expect, so he/she doesn't leave without have done everything they're meant to do.

Almost 5 years to the date from FTTC commercial availability. What a wait..!

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
  Print Thread

Jump to