General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User juesl2000
(newbie) Wed 14-Jan-15 17:14:32
Print Post

Cabinet Enabled but FTTC not available on Providers sites

[link to this post]

Hi Can anyone help answer if I will ever get FTTC?
Using the Open Reach checker on my number they confirm the exchange is enabled and the cabinet is also enabled. However if I use https://www.dslchecker.bt.com it shows the cabinet I am connected to but it does not show FTTC is available. If I use a telephone number for a property on the same road but 1/2 a mile closer to the exchange it shows the same cabinet number and that FTTC is available. Could the issue be that I am just too far from the exchange even though the cabinet has been enabled? Thanks in advance for any information.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Jan-15 17:25:53
Print Post

Re: Cabinet Enabled but FTTC not available on Providers site

[re: juesl2000] [link to this post]

Not distance from exchange but distance from cabinet that is critical.

The checkers do not offer FTTC to lines that a long way from the cabinet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jonet
(newbie) Wed 14-Jan-15 19:51:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

How far is considered to be too far to get a benefit from fibre. My cabinet is due to go live soon, but I am about 1.5 miles from the cabinet by road, which is the same route the phone line takes - on overhead lines.. At the moment I get about 3 to 4mbs on the line which is about 2.5 miles to the exchange. I am i likely to see a benefit from the FTTC?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Jan-15 20:37:32
Print Post

[re: jonet] [link to this post]

Above 2km it becomes a hit or miss affair

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User juesl2000
(newbie) Thu 15-Jan-15 08:07:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your response that makes sense as I estimate the distance to be nearly 2 miles from my property to the cabinet. Do you happen to know what the maximum distance would be?
Standard User gregormac
(learned) Thu 15-Jan-15 09:27:24
Print Post

[re: juesl2000] [link to this post]

There is no hard and fast rule. Its more down to the distance that the cable takes, cable quality, if fed underground or overhead, how many connections are in it.
have someone who is less than 1km from their Cabinet but cant get FTTC as a result of the route the cable takes, but someone else who is 2.5 Km away but is getting 15Mb.(pretty straight copper run)

8Mb ADSL Max
waiting for 80/20
  Print Thread

Jump to