General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AndyHCZ
(member) Mon 19-Jan-15 18:16:26
Print Post

Re: SVLANs Status

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I just think that people should have better things to do with their lives rather than sitting at their machines, running speed tests 24/7.

But hey ho - whatever gives people their kicks...
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Jan-15 18:56:27
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

How rude.

At most I am at my machine speed testing 16/7. The rest of the time I have a cron job running CLI speedtest for me.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Jan-15 20:19:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
I just think that people should have better things to do with their lives rather than sitting at their machines, running speed tests 24/7.
Who says they are doing that? The TBB tests are providing diagnostic information and supporting evidence for a fault. What do you expect us to do: just post a message saying 'it's a bit slow tonight' and leave it at that?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 19-Jan-15 22:51:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:

But hey ho - whatever gives people their kicks...

likewise I think havent you got better things to do than post 20+ times a day on the plusnet forums and telling people to avoid reporting faults to the isp.

For your information I dont sit doing speedtests all day, usually something triggers it such as a slow buffering video or SD netflix.

What is your motivation to deter people reporting faults, very curious.

Apparently you know more than plusnet staff, as you have concluded the low performance is due to financial reasons at the isp.

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 19-Jan-15 22:53:14)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Jan-15 23:00:11
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
How rude.

At most I am at my machine speed testing 16/7. The rest of the time I have a cron job running CLI speedtest for me.
LOL I bet you do too,Well as my mate was saying before to quote it

"I bet they are better at balancing their books than they are at balancing traffic " he was joking BTW
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Jan-15 08:47:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
Apparently you know more than plusnet staff, as you have concluded the low performance is due to financial reasons at the isp.

I imagine he is referring to the financials of ISPs and BTWholesale. Were we all paying more at the retail level and Wholesale being paid more at their level they would probably run their broadband network with more redundant capacity and/or have more resources monitoring it. Our payments cover a few hundred kilobits per second, potentially not enough for a service that never has visible contention.

For whatever reason, potentially in part their being owned by BT Group, Plusnet's relationship to BT Wholesale seems a very officious one rather than the one enjoyed by AAISP and as a result it seems they have to jump through a number of hoops.

I suspect these issues are not of Plusnet's doing but instead relate to the intermediate network between them and their end users, be it backhaul from MSILs to gateways or on the BT Wholesale transport network.

EDIT: It is worth noting that there really aren't that many complaints, either, given that Plusnet have over 700,000 customers. Those seeing the issues are insanely vocal but there aren't a huge amount which makes me think the issues are somewhat closer to home than thought.

People do know that there is more than one path between exchange and core network, and reconnecting can change the path being used, right?

Edited by Ignitionnet (Tue 20-Jan-15 09:29:36)

Standard User zom22
(member) Tue 20-Jan-15 08:55:05
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Look to be blunt.

The world does not revolve around what you and 10 other forum members think - or want.
Plusnet and indeed broadband is now a mass market consumer product provider not far short of 0.75 million connections.
It is no longer a niche type product supplied by startups where customers could have detailed tech' conversations about the service.

Yes I agree there probably is a problem somewhere.
Are plusnet bothered - probably not really.
They are bothered about the 99% not the 0.001% who want to moan/complain - you are totally insignificant.
It could even be that they actually WANT you to go.

If you don't like the service go somewhere else - or if you want a full speed 24/7 buy a leased line or something.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(member) Tue 20-Jan-15 09:15:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:

Eh? When/where have I ever commented on their financial position?!
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Jan-15 10:03:18
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zom22:
If you don't like the service go somewhere else - or if you want a full speed 24/7 buy a leased line or something.
Wow what a silly rant. I can demonstrate through the TBB test history that there has been a significant change in the service they are providing to me since the start of this year. Are you trying to suggest that I am not allowed to bring that to PN's attention? Are you suggesting that PN customers are not allowed to complain about their service?

I guess you'd better contact PN and tell them to close their ticket system and lay off all their front line support staff. Clearly you think they serve no purpose.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Tue 20-Jan-15 10:04:10)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Jan-15 13:50:47
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zom22:
Plusnet and indeed broadband is now a mass market consumer product provider not far short of 0.75 with over 0.805 million connections.
Your post as a whole suggests you got out of the wrong side of the bed today tongue wink. I've corrected the above bit for you smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to