General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fibreuser
(newbie) Mon 19-Jan-15 12:00:45
Print Post

VPN Fibre Speeds

[link to this post]

Hi.

I have always been under the impression that using a VPN significantly reduces speeds on the web. However, I have found this to be untrue.

I am on FTTC 80/20. I generally get speeds of about 70mbs and 18mbps which is great, but when i used my VPN and chose the Amsterdam Server I was astonished to find that I got 168mbps download and 22mbps upload. I have tried on several occasions over a few days and still got these speeds.

Is this the 'norm' or is Ookla Speed Tester getting inaccurate results because of the VPN?

Thats all!!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Jan-15 12:09:41
Print Post

Re: VPN Fibre Speeds

[re: fibreuser] [link to this post]

You cannot beat the connection speeds, suggests the speed tester you are using has a flaw in it.

What does http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest show?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Jan-15 12:16:19
Print Post

[re: fibreuser] [link to this post]

There could be some sort of caching or compression going on which could affect the speedtester.

VPN has to be slower. You can't download faster than your max speed and the act of encryption puts an overhead on packets that would take away some bandwidth. Encrypting/decrypting would also add some level of latency to packets.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fibreuser
(newbie) Mon 19-Jan-15 13:20:25
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Ahh..After using the ThinkBroadband tester, I see my speeds using the VPN are 62.86mbps down and 10.14mbps up.

Thanks for clearing that up for me - I thought it was too good to be true : )
  Print Thread

Jump to