General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ChrisMag
(newbie) Mon 19-Jan-15 14:15:16
Print Post

Cabinet information

[link to this post]

Last summer we were pleased to see that fibre was due to be installed in our exchange area with an RFS date of 31st December on the SamKnows website. At the end of last year there were BT Fibre trucks along various roads coming from the general direction of our exchange (Leire) - some trucks had drums of blue cabling and later on trucks with dark cabling. Also the telephone covers in the rural parts were uncovered and cleared of grass.

Since then, a fibre cabinet has been installed in the neighbouring village also served by the exchange, but nothing here and the SamKnows exchange checker now shows FTTC details not available for the exchange!

The County Council website isn't much use, with our postcode showing a generic "Planning and survey work underway or happening soon." for most of the surrounding area.

Regarding the installation of fibre, is there a way of checking what the current situation is regarding a specific cabinet, or do we have to just wait and see?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Jan-15 14:16:21
Print Post

Re: Cabinet information

[re: ChrisMag] [link to this post]

If you name the exchange and a specific cabinet someone may have more information

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 19-Jan-15 14:41:22
Print Post

You're not alone smile

My exchange "Minster Thanet" was stated as "RFS Dec 2014" but I'm still waiting for it to be switched on so to speak. All cabinets are in and look to be completed now.

I guess it's a waiting game, I have no idea how long it normally takes!

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Jan-15 14:46:47
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

Standing the cabinets is just a day or two for each, its the running of fibre tubing, linking power, blowing fibre and final commissioning that takes time.

If a small exchange the fibre run to the MAIN exchange may be a good number of miles, so roadworks not always obvious hence check roadworks.org

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ChrisMag
(newbie) Mon 19-Jan-15 16:51:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's cabinet 5 on the Leire exchange.

Typical though - late this afternoon I went past the cabinet and guess what - saw some workmen digging next to the existing cabinet as well as a trench to the BT manholes! I'm presuming it's preparatory work for the new cabinet.

Having said that, if it takes time to enable it once it's in, then I may be waiting even longer......
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Jan-15 17:08:16
Print Post

Alas no date, but can say it looks to be in the Leicestershire BDUK project, so just a case of waiting rather than campaigning

Standard User ChrisMag
(newbie) Mon 19-Jan-15 17:51:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for looking smile
Standard User dwilkins
(newbie) Mon 19-Jan-15 18:10:14
Print Post

Anyone have any suggestions how to prise something a little less Kafka-esque out of BT than

FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- At this time we cant provide a delivery date for this cabinet..

as per www.btwholesale.com checker facilities. Cab is P22 on NEHAL exchange.
  Print Thread

Jump to