General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User uguna
(newbie) Mon 19-Jan-15 17:53:36
Print Post

Okehampton exchange

[link to this post]

I'm in a part of Okehampton - EX20 1EG - that reverted to Under Review in December - having started out as available in December 2013, then shifted back in two easy steps. Is there anybody there?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Jan-15 21:48:47
Print Post

Re: Okehampton exchange

[re: uguna] [link to this post]

Devon and Somerset still has work ongoing, so it might you've slipped from commercial to gap funded roll-out. Sorry no greater insight than that from me today.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User uguna
(newbie) Tue 23-Jun-15 21:54:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Letters to my MP and e-mail exchanges with Openreach and - the laughingly entitled - Connecting Devon and Somerset have totally failed to come up with anything other the incredibly annoying confirmation that I would indeed be connected by Okehampton Cabinet 6 but there is nothing else that anyone's prepared to tell me other than than the implementation has been delayed yet again, apparently indefinitely. Is this information blackout typical?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User somerset
(committed) Tue 23-Jun-15 23:50:00
Print Post

CDS map says:

EX201EG
According to our records your area is either currently, or planned to be, commercially covered by a private service provider. As such we are not allowed to invest in your area under European Commission State Aid regulations. You are not part of our programme and will need to contact an internet service provider (ISP) to find out about the current status/plans for your area.

So potential BT commercial coverage sometime maybe.

Edited by somerset (Wed 24-Jun-15 00:07:53)

Standard User uguna
(newbie) Wed 24-Jun-15 08:56:54
Print Post

[re: somerset] [link to this post]

Don't you understand that it is precisely this sort of non-infomration that is so infuriating. Is there no one who is prepared to tell me what's going on over two years after high speed broadband was supposed to be available to me?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Jun-15 09:13:00
Print Post

Possibly slipped out of the commercial programme and waiting on the 95% superfast project to pick up the pieces or virgin media expansion if network is nearby.

Problem is commercial plans are always in flux and no-one will ever give a promise.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User uguna
(newbie) Wed 24-Jun-15 10:46:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

For all whoever's responsible knows, I invested in equipment two years ago to take advantage of their "promise" and it's been sitting idle while they faff around.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Jun-15 20:43:13
Print Post

The information on availability is an estimate and is subject to change. If you act relying on that estimate, you accept the risk of the information changing. There are only very limited circumstances where the law gives you a cause of action based on you placing detrimental reliance on information provided outwith a contract. These circumstances do not fit the criteria, as you were never promised a fibre based service would be available by a given date.

As MrSaffron sometimes says, you should never commit to renting or buying a property based on future availability information - only what is available to order now. Obviously the commitment involved in buying equipment is much less than renting or buying property, but I personally wouldn't buy equipment for a service I couldn't order today unless I was changing equipment anyway and could choose equipment supporting later standards than I needed immediately (e.g. ADSL2+ and VDSL2 support when the current service was ADSL2+).

Being blunt about it, if you think tens of thousands of pounds of work will be done any quicker (and, for that matter, at all) because you bought equipment likely costing less than £200 two years ago, I suggest your position is unrealistic.

Indeed, the complaints to the Advertising Standards Authority and direct to Openreach from people who weren't prepared to accept the information Openreach publicised about fibre deployment was a provisional estimate is a key reason why Openreach is now very coy about future deployment plans.

Standard User Storm_Force
(regular) Wed 24-Jun-15 21:37:04
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Does seem bizarre that hasn't been done yet and all the rest have, any idea's on how many properties may be connected to it?
Standard User uguna
(newbie) Wed 24-Jun-15 22:12:44
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

I don't think that any minor investment on my part would - or should - influence a relatively major infrastructure investment, and implementing Infinity would not involve me in any significant additional cost. And I don't need you to point that out, thank you. But I do think that BT should be open about what's happening, and I do think that BT hides behind the artificial separation between BT and Openreach - Openreach is happy to promote itself as a BT company (though why that should be looked on as an advantage I can't imagine) but BT disclaims responsibility by describing Openreach as a separate company when it suits it. Being blunt about it, the so-called updating on Infinity implementation is a farce as it has been put back in my area at least three times without BT informing those who have expressed an interest in it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to