General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Computerman142
(member) Mon 19-Jan-15 19:51:57
Print Post

TalkTalk Fibre slow and unresponsive

[link to this post]

Hi

I recently decided to stay with TalkTalk and get a new super router and cheaper monthly price, but a few weeks ago 3 months after I got the router I started to have issues with internet for example browsing the internet became incredible slow like being on dial up, other time the router wont response to you when you go to Google or any other websites meaning the internet is no longer working, I went to check to make sure it was still in sync with the DSLAM which is was but I still keep getting this and getting worse and worse as time goes on resulting in my sync speed slowing getting lower and lower due to the amount of time I have to restart it. Once it restart it works fine for 30-45 mins if browsing or until I start using the internet. Does anyone know what could be the issue I am starting to think the router is going faulty, I may have to get my HG612 out but as it buried away I cant be bothered to get it out.

Thanks

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2859828308
My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL Cabinet 6

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC estimated 40/2 - Currently getting 24.5Mbps/2Mbps on an interleaved FTTC line, was 26.5Mbps. Super router coming in a few days
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Jan-15 20:04:39
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Fibre slow and unresponsive

[re: Computerman142] [link to this post]

If there was a generic fault with the talktalk all in one device would expect more moans.

If you have a modem then time to try it, maybe you have one with duff cpu/memory

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Mon 19-Jan-15 20:41:55
Print Post

browsing the internet became incredible slow like being on dial up

my super router's wireless fails regularly; this requires stopping and restarting the wireless almost daily frown

Do these problems occur wired and wireless?

Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pauli1
(newbie) Mon 19-Jan-15 21:12:46
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

You could try a reset by pressing in the little reset button.

Or better, disconnect for at least 30 minutes and reconnect the power.
(member) Mon 19-Jan-15 21:46:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

yeah, i will dig it out and see if the modem is ok

My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL Cabinet 6

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC estimated 40/2 - Currently getting 24.5Mbps/2Mbps on an interleaved FTTC line, was 26.5Mbps. Super router coming in a few days
(member) Mon 19-Jan-15 21:47:06
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

yes, both wired and wireless

MYSEL Cabinet 6

(member) Sun 25-Jan-15 10:53:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I was going to put my HG612 in and a completely forgot about but noticed that internet stopped slowing down and was no longer unresponsive with the super router, so I went to go check in stats page and I think my line has been capped because I have sync speed of 19999 which and SNR of 8.5 so told my router to resync in case it was a genuine sync not being capped, but once it reynced it was still at 19999 and had similar SNR and output power as before.

Now, I have been thinking what could of caused this I am not aware of any interference because nothing has changed in my house and everything was fine prior to it starting to go strange.

Here is the stats:

Broadband Information
DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
None
DSL up-time: 0 days 0 hours 17 minutes 19 seconds

Thanks

MYSEL Cabinet 6

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Jan-15 11:02:46
Print Post

No error counters in the stats so hard to say if the DLM was responding to errors and has slowed the downstream to reduce the errors or not.

NOTE: 19999 Kbps sync should still give a very response web browsing experience, so if web pages are slow to load you are looking at another issue. e.g. consider setting up different DNS server IP addresses on a PC as an experiment google is 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Jan-15 02:51:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Computerman142:
what could of caused this I am not aware of any interference because nothing has changed in my house and everything was fine prior to it starting to go strange.

Things probably weren't fine, but you can't tell. You need to see the error rate on the line.

Your problem is likely to be caused by take-up from other subscribers in the neighbourhood.

Increased take-up by them means more noise on your line, caused by their signal - known as crosstalk. This kind of noise can have a large effect on VDSL2, as is used in FTTC.

The impact on crosstalk is twofold:
a) increased noise, therefore reduced SNRM, and therefore reduced speed
b) increased errors; eventually over the DLM threshold, so reduced speed and increased latency, as DLM attempts to preserve quality at the expense of both of these.

If errors end up large enough, DLM may intervene further, and bring banding into play. It looks like this has happened to you.
(member) Wed 28-Jan-15 18:01:21
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Its getting worse now came home and the internet is really slow again, went onto the super router reduced the banding from 19999 to 18000 its getting worse and worse it could be crosstalk a little bit but not a lot as for it to do this within a couple days there must something wrong, i wish TalkTalk did a quite line test, then could see if there was noise on the line.

MYSEL Cabinet 6

Print Thread

Jump to