General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pauli1
(newbie) Mon 19-Jan-15 20:08:57
Print Post

Issues with new Cabinet installation

[link to this post]

Hi there,

First post on this forum so please bear with me.
I won't go into this problem in all its glory or I will be typing all night.

In a nutshell, my fibre broadband connection with Talktalk dropped from a av. 15mbsec to less than 1mb a sec. over 4 weeks ago.

After 2 engineer visits, they told me the following. A new fibre cabinet (19) just 100 yards away went live a month ago. I was always served by the further away cabinet 4. Over the last month, my phone line was moved to the new cabinet 19, but my fibre connection is still running off cabinet 4!! This was confirmed by the two engineers who said to contact my service provider and request the fibre connection is moved over to the new cabinet also, and I would average 70-80mb speeds.
Sounds easy (although what a bizarre problem to start with). Talk talk have been a disaster ever since. I won't go into it all, but they have been truly woeful, and seemingly unable to address this with Openreach on my behalf.
I am at my wits end, because I cannot speak to Openreach directly, and I am afraid to cancel with TT, as then I have no service provider to fall back on and I fear this could end up never solved. Has anyone come across an issue like this or can suggest anything?
Standard User rippedcotton
(experienced) Mon 19-Jan-15 21:37:26
Print Post

Re: Issues with new Cabinet installation

[re: Pauli1] [link to this post]

What does the BT DSL checker show for your phone number? Cabinet and expected speeds should be there.

--

Brian

Zen Pro
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Jan-15 21:46:14
Print Post

[re: rippedcotton] [link to this post]

And also the address, since if TalkTalk full LLU it won't understand the telephone number.

Use house number PLUS postcode.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Jan-15 09:28:25
Print Post

To my mind, if what you have been told is correct, re your line now bing off cab 19, then the easiest solution would be a cease of all current services (line and FTTC) and then a reorder. Harsh, but it'll do the trick, and save you a world of pain trying to deal with TT.

Standard User Pauli1
(newbie) Tue 20-Jan-15 12:43:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks for the speedy responses guys. Far better than the talk talk forum where I am trying to get a response also. I'll cover all the points above one by one.
Hopefully, I will ultimately get some solution here.

In reply to ripped cotton, BT's DSL checker confirms my phone is connected to Cabinet 19.
I cannot search by number only, as its a talk talk number the checker doesn't recognise it. However, it does allow by postcode and address, and this confirms cabinet 19. (I also have a dedicated business line provided by my employer and its a BT number. When I input that, it also confirms connected to cab 19.)

Now heres the thing, because my fibre connection is coming off cab 4, the DSL checker on my address and postcode is showing I do not have FTTC available from cab 19!
I also checked a neighbours phone number down the road, they are running off cab 19, and showing with FTTC available at 80mb. So reconfirms the problem is because fibre has been left at the older and further away cabinet 4.

Zarjaz, a cease service and reconnect (with talk talk or BT) would at face value seem the obvious thing to do, and may ultimately be all I can try. BUT, Talktalk themselves thought this would work. Their engineer dept advised the manager I was talking to at TT last week, to do a cease and reconnect. IE cancel my talk talk service (phone and fibre) then reconnect with a brand new setup.
So first the operator cancelled my full service. He then went to book a new full connection. Guess what, they do the line checks and because of all the above issues, my check comes back "no fibre service available to this address"!!! We know the reasons for this, but because that is the status my current connection to cabinet 19 is showing, Talktalk cannot book a new fibre connection with Openreach as "the computer says no!"
I got the cancellation reverted in the meantime to try other solutions.

Incidentally, I then called BT on spec, and asked if I could join them for their fibre service as a new customer. They done their checks, and said they cannot offer fibre to me, as the checker says fibre not available. I explained the issue and the girl on the line understood, but says there was nothing she could do, as understandably, I am not a BT customer. There was also no guarantee they could address this mistake if I moved to them as normal adsl customer then raised this issue later.

I am sure you can gauge where my frustration is coming from here.
Ultimately, the only people who can address this is Openreach, and due to the current setup, it seems impossible to get the message through to them via providers.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 20-Jan-15 12:56:48
Print Post

Can you order fibre on your dedicated business line?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User Realalemadrid
(newbie) Tue 20-Jan-15 13:34:16
Print Post

This doesn't make much sense to me, if your line was re-routed to a new cabinet how are you getting an FTTC service? In fact can you confirm you are still on a VDSL service, does the modem/router provide any information? The speed drop you had suggests that you may have reverted to ADSL. For FTTC to work from Cab 4 your line would have to come from the exchange to that cab where it is linked to the FTTC cab then continue to cab19 and on to your location. This seems very unlikely and is probably completely beyond Talk Talk to figure out.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Jan-15 13:39:26
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

This doesn't make much sense to me, if your line was re-routed to a new cabinet how are you getting an FTTC service?

The OP isn't getting FTTC, he now gets ADSL.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 20-Jan-15 13:49:41
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
This doesn't make much sense to me, if your line was re-routed to a new cabinet how are you getting an FTTC service?

The OP isn't getting FTTC, he now gets ADSL.
He seems to think he's still getting FTTC
In reply to a post by Pauli1:
Over the last month, my phone line was moved to the new cabinet 19, but my fibre connection is still running off cabinet 4

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User Pauli1
(newbie) Tue 20-Jan-15 14:19:30
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Batboy, Cannot order fibre on the business line either, I tried to.
Bear in mind the business line is showing connected to cabinet 19 also, so suffers from the same problem.

Realalemadrid, I was historically getting an FTTC service from talk talk on cabinet 4,(which is where my fibre line is still connected to according to the Openreach engineers who called). I was getting 15mb download (Im a fair distance from that cab). It was the fall in speed a few weeks ago to 1.5mb that triggered my investigation into this whole sorry saga.
The openreach engineer also confirmed it is still a fibre feed I get, it although it is now severely hampered due to the convoluted paths it has to take with my phone line connected to this new cabinet 19!

Also, I use the new Talktalk Superrouter. I have just gone in to the settings, and it confirms I am currently connected by VDSL. (although at 1.5mb, its at adsl speeds! The engineer told me that if left as it is now with my feed from cabinet 4, I would never again see 15mb downloads. He said I needed to get TT to get Openreach to get my fibre sorted and onto the new cab 19 where my phone line is.
Both engineers also told me they would be putting this in their reports, but these do not seem to be picked up within Openreach never mind Talktalk.
You would think this would be an easy issue to sort out, considering Openreach themselves have identified the problem.

Edited by Pauli1 (Tue 20-Jan-15 14:22:29)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to